Rutgers experiences mixed results in split weekend

onlinemirabellidt416

The Metropolitan Championships might have been the peak for the Rutgers men’s track and field team this outdoor season.

Although many of the same succeeding athletes made headline performances at both meets this weekend, many other event athletes did not have the same success rate. This time around, the weather was not the hindering factor of falling performances.

The Scarlet Knights were once again split up this weekend to either the Georgia Tech Invitational at Atlanta or the Larry Ellis Outdoor Invitational at Princeton.

Starting at Georgia Tech this past weekend, a few athletes were able to make a run for their money. Junior javelin thrower Christopher Mirabelli continued his strong streak of success and placed first in the javelin event final on Friday with a distance of 74.87 meters. There was no hint of competition for Mirabelli at this meet, as the second-place finisher was far behind with a distance mark at 58.87 meters. Mirabelli’s distance was also the second-best throw of his career.

Graduate student jumper Emeka Eze also followed up his big finishes at the Metropolitan meet with a respectable performance in Atlanta. Eze finished in third place in long jump at 7.48 meters and now holds the top distance in the Big Ten and ranked the eighth-longest nationally.

The second long jumper from Rutgers, freshman Patrick Warren, finished the event in 10th place at 6.94 meters.

The second day of Georgia Tech had its ups and downs as well.

Sophomore sprinter Izaiah Brown, known for his fast time in the 400-meter event, captured a first-place finish with a 45.72. Not quite his best time, but still posed as one of the highlights of the weekend for the Knights. His finish was also one of the top times in the Big Ten Conference and tied for eighth on a national level.

Graduate student Kyle Holder finished third in the 400-meter hurdle event at 52.11, marking the top collegiate time.

But in exchange for these accomplishments were some team shortcomings.

The 4x100 relay team, Brown, Eze, junior Jordan Jimerson and freshman Alanzo Aris, “did not start” along with a handful of other teams, leaving only five schools to have completed the event. Reasons are not yet stated, but this result posed as a major hiccup to a relay team that has been quite successful in most past meets.

High jump and triple jump events weren’t at their finest in Atlanta either. Freshman Perry Christie and sophomore Jordan Lorenzo tied for eighth place in high jump with 1.9 meters. Sophomore Jairus Paul and freshman Tobi Tella finished eighth and ninth in triple jump.

The long distance leg of the track and field team competed in Princeton at the Larry Ellis Outdoor Invitational. 

Sophomore Conor Murphy finished in fourth place in the 1500-meter run at a time of 3:58.70, just a second off from his freshman record during last year’s outdoor season.

With such up and down performances, perhaps due to the constant team split ups, Rutgers has some work to do as the Penn Relays are right around the corner.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Libby Hur