Rutgers takes second place at Colonial Relays

p12browndt116

Mirroring its accomplishments at last year’s Colonial Relays hosted by William and Mary, the Rutgers men’s track and field team returned to Zable Stadium this past weekend and took second place behind Princeton. But this time around, the Scarlet Knights were able to diversify their wins.

Through all of this, head coach Mike Mulqueen applauded an outstanding weekend for his athletes.

“We competed well in many areas. Our goal was to use it as a big training, racing weekend and get a few competitive races in for everyone. Some of our field event athletes ran races, too. So we accomplished that well over the three days,” he said.

And although sophomore sprinter Izaiah Brown suffered a leg injury that unfortunately pulled him out of concluding his indoor season at NCAA Championships, he was able to finally make his outdoor debut and reclaim his 400-meter title.

Brown stepped back onto the first place podium with his unbeatable finish in the 400-meter dash at 46.50, about an understandable 1.23 seconds over his personal record after his couple week absence. He finished with the same time at last year’s Colonial Relays.

Brown also assisted in anchoring two championship relays, the 4x100-meter relay alongside senior Emeka Eze, sophomore Alonzo Aris and junior Jordan Jimerson with a time of 41.37, which granted Rutgers 10 points.

Alonzo Aris and Jordan Jimerson also took the 4x400-meter title with Brown and freshman Nathaniel Gravesande. But those were not the only notable relay races this weekend.

The sprinters racked up a lot of the team points for the Knights, with Brown, Eze, Aris and Jimerson contributing another six points as they placed third in the 4x200-meter relay.

Senior Brendan Jaeger also finished his 800-meter race with a new personal record, 1:51.66.

In the field events, discus pair Jason Campbell and John Mooers threw two personal bests as well. 

Senior hurdler Kyle Holder was able to get a second-place title this weekend, with a time of 53.22. Senior pole vaulter Christopher Mazzacano tied for fifth place with two other athletes with a height of 4.70-meters.

Javelin throwers were not so lucky this weekend though. Junior javelin thrower Christopher Mirabelli and teammate Thomas Carr worked on techniques and small critiques all week, only to get beaten by the weather.

“It should be noted that, due to bad weather, some events were cancelled, like the javelin, which is a big point scoring event for us,” Mulqueen said.

Rutgers finished second overall with 94 points, but only two points shy from taking first place altogether, and an obvious weather obstacle took some great opportunities away.

But the inevitable and unpredictable occurrences during meets is just the beauty of the outdoor track and field season and Mulqueen remained proud of his team this week.

“As you can see, we scored points in all areas,” he said. “In moving forward, we have to keep working hard, staying healthy and keep improving. The outdoor season goes fast.”

For update on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Libby Hur