Rutgers rides momentum into Tennessee Dogwood Relays, Sam Howell Invitational

p11jaegerdt315

With its consistent successes since the opening of the 2017 outdoor season, the Rutgers men’s track and field team continues to ride its momentum into both the Dogwood Relays held in Knoxville, Tennessee and the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton this upcoming weekend.

In this rare occasion, the Scarlet Knights will be split up and competing in two separate meets. So far, most of these athletes have been excelling in the past meets, such as the University of South Florida Bulls Invitational and the Colonial Relays, and treating them like intense practice sessions, using their competition to further brush up on their skills.

Not much is truly needed as sophomore sprinter Izaiah Brown looks ahead on using this meet to get back on track after his injury.

During the Colonial Relays, his first meet back since the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) Competition back in the beginning of March, Brown took no one by surprise and grabbed first place in the 400-meter dash with a time of 46.50.

The 4x100-meter, 4x200-meter and 4x400-meter relays also finished with noteworthy titles.

Personal records were made by athletes such as senior distance runner Brendan Jaeger, who finished the 800-meter with 1:51.66, shaving off a couple of seconds from his past outdoor season times.

On the other hand, some athletes were not as lucky.

The javelin events had been abruptly cancelled due to the weather last weekend. Athletes such as Junior Christopher Mirabelli and teammate Thomas Carr were not able to show off their hard work and improved skills during that meet, but hope to get back on the field this time around.

Head coach Mike Mulqueen also spoke of the misfortune and acknowledged the hardworking athletes as “a big point-scoring event.”

The two have hopes of getting back in the competition and performing well this weekend.

Both meets this weekend will also be a contributing factor in making last minute fixes for the Metropolitan Outdoor Championships that are held annually at Rutgers University. Noting that the athletes will finally be competing on their home soil, both the Dogwood and Sam Howell meets are crucial times for perfecting performances.

The outdoor season goes incredibly fast, but as the season progresses, the Knights plan on taking every meet, one by one, and using them as stepping stones to making nationals towards the beginning of summer.

For updates on the Rutgers men's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Libby Hur