Rutgers finishes home stand with blowout loss to No. 1 Maryland

p13seniorsrajvaidya417
Photo by Raj Vaidya |

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team honored its senior class on Saturday in what ended up being the only pleasant time of the night for the team.

The Scarlet Knights (7-6, 1-2) were beaten down this weekend by No. 1 Maryland (13-0, 3-0) in the final game of a four-game home stand. Rutgers went 2-2 during the home stand, winning the first two before dropping the next two, including Saturday’s 20-8 loss.

“They’re a really talented team, that goes without saying,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “But we’ve got to do our best possible job to get our best possible game out on the field, and I don’t think we did that.”

Prior to the first blast of the horn, the Knights honored senior attackers Amanda Turturro and Delaney Tuite, senior midfielders Macy Scott and Kristina Dunphey and senior defender Ryann Hogan with a tribute at midfield.

Although Rutgers won the opening draw of the game, the Terrapins quickly caused a turnover, scooped up the ball and were on their way to the first goal of the game after just 64 seconds of game play.

The Maryland attack didn’t stop there, rattling off 6 straight goals to start the game, taking an early 6-0 lead at the 24:12 mark in the first half.

The Knights finally got on the board at the 23:27 mark on an unassisted goal from sophomore attacker Abbey Brooks to put an end to the long streak of Terps goals.

Maryland scored two more times, taking an 8-1 lead, before Rutgers came back with 2 goals of their own, attempting to stop the Terps momentum.

First, junior attacker Joanna Reilly scored off an assist from Scott, followed by Turturro putting the ball in the net on her own to make it an 8-3 game with 16:52 left in the first half.

Maryland took a slight chip at the Knights' momentum by scoring, but Rutgers quickly responded back and kept the game at a 5-goal difference on a free position goal from Dunphey.

Reilly scored her second goal of the game off an assist from junior attacker Kerri Puckhaber and cut the lead to just 4 goals for the Knights, but the Terps answered back twice and brought the lead back up to 6 goals.

“It stinks that we lost,” Reilly said. “But playing the best team in the country, we obviously learned a lot and learned what we have to do in practice this week to translate it into next game.”

The Terrapins took their largest lead of the night in the midst of scoring 3 more goals and ultimately went into the locker room at half time leading Rutgers 14-5.

Maryland came out of the half time gates swinging, scoring less than 30 seconds into the half and adding two more after that to widen the gap to 17-5 over the Knights.

Rutgers responded with its first goal of the half from junior midfielder Paige Paratore off an assist from freshman midfielder Samantha Budd. Dunphey then scored a second straight goal for the Knights and her second of the game, to cut the score to 17-7 with 19:41 left in the game.

Fast forward 10 minutes and the score would be 19-8, after Maryland scored two more times, while Brooks scored her second goal of the game for Rutgers off of a pass from Turturro.

The rough game for the Knights finally ended as the buzzer sounded, with the final score 20-8 in Maryland’s favor.

Some team highlights in the game included winning 16 draw controls and scooping up 13 ground balls.

“I love this group of girls and could not be happier or more proud to be on the field with these group of girls,” said Scott, who served as co-captain for Rutgers with Turturro this season. “Everyone made this night special regardless of the outcome of the game, which is disappointing for this game, but I am happy to be going into the next three games with these girls.”

Although this game was senior night, it isn’t the last game of the season for the Knights and isn’t even the last home game, as they will be back at High Point Solutions Stadium in two weeks.

Rutgers will hit the road this week for the first time in nearly a month, as it gets set to travel up to Ann Arbor, Michigan to face the Michigan Wolverines (5-10, 1-3).

“We want to do the best we can to give them the best season going down this final stretch,” Brand-Sias said.

For updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Coby Green