Rutgers leaves Tennessee with slew of top-five placements

p12sarahrobbiedt116

The Rutgers women’s track and field team continued its outdoor campaign last weekend with participation in the Tennessee Relays at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee.

The Scarlet Knights came out of the meet with five top-five placements and seven Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) qualifying marks, including a new personal record set by senior Sarah Robbie in the 800-meter.

Robbie achieved fifth-place overall with an ECAC qualifying time of 2:09.59, besting her previous PR of 2:09.76 set earlier this season at the ECAC Indoor Championships in March.

The senior also assisted fellow Rutgers senior Kaitlyn Bedard, junior Brianna Haspel and sophomore Jenna Sobieski in the 4x800-meter relay. The squad reached seventh-place overall with an ECAC qualifying time of 9:13.92.

Junior Bria Saunders also saw a productive meet, placing fourth and fifth overall in the 100 (11.72) and 200-meter (23.76) relays, respectively – both ECAC qualifying times.

Saunders, along with junior Imani Beauliere, and sophomores Phyllis Gordon and Nabiya Garrett, helped compete in the 4x100-meter relay and placed eighth overall with an ECAC qualifying time of 46.73.

Gordon also joined the ECAC qualifiers with an eleventh-place effort in the 400-meter with a time of 55.58.

The Knights’ last two top-five results came from field athletes senior Katherine Johnston and sophomore Rhonda Rogombe.

Johnston achieved a 42.84-meter javelin throw, earning her fourth place overall and an ECAC qualifier. This is Johnston’s third consecutive top-five placement in javelin throws this outdoor season.

Rogombe, only in her second week back in action after a hamstring injury, placed fourth overall in the high jump with an ECAC qualifying distance of 1.65-meters. Her effort in Knoxville marks her second consecutive top-five placement since returning from her injury.

Other notable efforts in Knoxville came from Rutgers in both track and field events.

The distance medley relay squad of Bedard, senior Nicole Nicholas, junior Celine Mazzi and freshman Emma Bergman placed seventh with a time of 12:26.63.

Freshman Alison Chomsky, in only the third meet of her Knights career, placed sixth in the javelin throw with a distance of 40.09-meters — good for her second top-five placement of the season.

This weekend, Rutgers will return home to host the Metropolitan Outdoor Championships for the second consecutive year. The championship meet will run from April 14 to 15 at the Bauer Track and Field Complex in Piscataway, New Jersey.

For updates on the Rutgers women's track and field team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton