Undocumented Rutgers student now facing deportation, AAUP-AFT reports

rally

The Rutgers AAUP-AFT said Carimer Andujar's DACA status has not been renewed, despite previous indication that it had been. She now may face deportation on her May 9 interview with ICE.

Contrary to what was previously believed, Carimer Andujar’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) documentation has not been extended.

According to a Facebook post, it was originally understood that her DACA had been renewed, meaning the School of Engineering junior would not be in danger of deportation when she meets with U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on May 9.

But Andujar’s lawyer recently told her this is not true, according to the post.

Sherry Wolf, senior organizer at the Rutgers American Association of University Professors and American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT) said they are working around the clock to renew Andujar’s DACA before it is set to expire tonight at midnight.

Andujar has been a resident of the United States since she was 4 years old, she said Tuesday night at an emergency meeting held in the Rutgers AAUP-AFT union office. She said she filed to renew her DACA in December, more than 5 months ago.

In response to Andujar’s meeting with ICE, the AAUP-AFT is holding a rally on May 1 for students, staff and community members to come out and support Andujar. They will meet at Voorhees Mall at 12 p.m.

Editor’s note: A University spokesperson did not respond by the time of publishing. This story is ongoing. 

Chloe Dopico