WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | April 14, 2017

FAMILY, FRIENDS AND PETS

New Brunswick hosted the Popovich Comedy Pet Theater, which featured 30 rescue animals who performed a series of skits and tricks. Gregory Popovich, who runs the show, has been performing as a comedian for more than 30 years. He is a lifelong animal rights and protection activist and takes his rescue animals on tour around the country. We laurel the State Theatre of New Jersey for hosting this show and Popovich for taking care of rescue pets and making people laugh.

JUSTICE FOR NORTH KOREA

Rutgers' Center for the Study of Genocide and Human Rights (CGHR) hosted Austin Hyeon in the Rutgers Academic Building last Saturday. Hyeon, a North Korean expatriate, discussed his parents escape from North Korea when he was 12 years old. He also spoke about his struggles growing up, including not being able to go to school or make friends because of his status as an illegal refugee. We dart the conditions in North Korea for forcing Hyeon and thousand of people to flee their homes in fear of being imprisoned or killed. 

MAKING IT BIG TIME

The new Netflix series "13 Reasons Why," based on the young adult novel "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher, has gotten widespread praise and received a rating of 9.1 out of 10 stars from IMDb. Brandon Flynn, who plays Justin Foley, one of the main characters on the show, attended Mason Gross School of the Arts and graduated from Rutgers last year. We laurel our alumnus for carrying on the Rutgers legacy and for the success he has found.

HER LEGACY WILL LIVE ON

Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam was found dead on Wednesday afternoon in the Hudson River near West 132nd Street. She was not only the first black person to sit on New York State's highest court but also the nation's first Muslim judge. She was called a "humble pioneer" and "a force for good whose legacy will be felt for years to come" by those who knew and worked with her. We dart the death of such an influential individual who broke boundaries and created more opportunities for marginalized groups of people. Rest in peace.

GAYPRIL CELEBRATIONS

The Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities (SJE) coordinated the month-long celebration known as "GAYpril." This month-long event, which aims to recognize the LGBTQIA community at Rutgers, features a series of lectures, workshops and events including the "Safer Sex and Relationships Workshop." Although this month of festivities is dedicated to the LGBTQIA community, it encouraged and allowed everyone to take part. We laurel SJE for creating a month to celebrate and support the LGBTQIA community. 

WE NEED STUDIO TIME

Rutgers' journalism and media studies major is known for providing students with the skills to go on to successful careers in journalism. Previously, the School of Communication and Information offered a television reporting course in an actual studio in conjunction with the Rutgers iTV Studio on Livingston, but now it is only offered by the iTV Studio during the summer sessions. We dart the fact that the department has not reinstated these courses yet during the regular semesters.