HORU May 12, 2017

diannehoru1
Photo by Humans of Rutgers and Jeremy Berkowitz |

“For four years, I stubbornly worked toward a vision for myself that I later found out was not going to come true. I was working to become a mechanical engineer, but I made some unwise decisions and lost focus and motivation. I stayed in a pretty unhealthy relationship for longer than I should have, which ended up taking away a lot of my focus from academics, sustaining friendships, and maintaining self-care. Last semester, even though it was supposed to be my final semester of undergrad, it was actually the beginning of a new path for me. So now I’m pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture. I have found healing in coming back to the things I’m really passionate about; integrating art, science and environmental justice into my new major. I’m still battling with the feelings of being left behind, watching those I started this journey with move on to the next chapter of their lives, but thinking about the new opportunities to mentor younger students keeps those feelings of loneliness at bay. I’ve just gotta be honest with myself and run with the lessons I’ve learned here so far, and remember that I haven't truly failed unless I've given up.”

Humans of Rutgers

Jeremy Berkowitz