Rutgers Business School's Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society ranked No. 1 chapter in the world

Gold Chapter Award makes New Brunswick the top chapter out of 544 in the world

martin_markowitz_beta_gamma_sigma
Photo by Rutgers Business School |

Senior Associate Dean Martin Markowitz of Rutgers Business School–New Brunswick "taps" students eligible to join the school's chapter of the Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society. (PRNewsfoto/Rutgers Business School)

The Rutgers Business School—New Brunswick has been awarded the Gold Chapter Award by the Beta Gamma Sigma international honor business society, making it the No. 1 ranked chapter in the world out of 544 business schools.

The New Brunswick chapter was established in 1991, and its membership, which is now comprised of almost 100 students, has tripled in the last few years, according to a press release.

"Becoming the Beta Gamma Sigma Gold Chapter bring recognition to our students and our program excellence," said Martin Markowitz, senior associate dean of the Rutgers Business School—New Brunswick. "The students in our chapter not only demonstrate superior academic skills but also exhibit enthusiasm to help others."

The introduction of traditional "tapping" ceremonies encouraged membership growth, according to the press release, which is when eligible students are "tapped," or invited to join Beta Gamma Sigma. 

The ceremonies are carried out by Markowitz and Helen Pensavalle and Michelle Tomitz, both of the Business School's Office of Undergraduate Programs.

The honor society is open to students whose academic performance puts them in the top 10 percent of their class.

"In the past few years, we find that students are working harder to make the top 10 percent so they can be invited to join. It's a win-win situation," Pensavalle said. "Our students continue to amaze me. No matter how high you raise the bar, they don't give up, they just reach higher."

The Gold Chapter Award reflects the community service events taken on by the chapter and its strong membership, according to the press release.

Students in the honor society perform two community service events per year, Pensavalle said. In 2016, the chapter held a fundraiser on Rutgers Day to benefit the Make-a-Wish Foundation for children with life-threatening diseases.

One member of the Rutgers—New Brunswick chapter will be awarded a $1,500 scholarship in addition to the chapter being recognized as the top chapter in the world, according to the press release.

"We have worked to create a scholarly identity among our members by providing ceremonial, community service, social and school-wide support activities in which our BGS (Beta Gamma Sigma) members could participate," Markowitz said. "We are very proud of our students' accomplishments."

Alexandra DeMatos

ad1049@scarletmail.rutgers.edu