Rutgers issues warning after bear sighting on Livingston campus

screen_shot_20170505_at_30435_pm
Photo by Google Maps |

Reports of a bear in the vicinity of The Quads on Livingston campus last night were confirmed by the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD). The area has since been cleared. 

This morning at approximately 2 a.m. a Rutgers Alert warned of the presence of a bear near the Quads on Livingston campus. 

Students were urged to avoid the area while the police investigated the scene. 

At around 5 a.m., a second alert was sent out announcing that the area has been deemed safe for normal operation after a search of the campus. 

"This is a very rare occurrence at Rutgers and we have not had any reports of a bear being on campus in recent years," said Captain Paul Fischer of the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD).

Photo:

Students posted a Snapchat photo of the bear to Rutgers Facebook groups.

If students, faculty or staff encounter a bear on campus, they should remain calm and not run, he said. 

The student should make the bear aware of their presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping their hands or making other noises, Fischer said. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head.

It is also important that the bear as an escape route and does not feel trapped, he said.

The bear may utter a series of huffs, make popping jaw sounds by snapping its jaws and swat the ground. These are warning signs that you are too close. Slowly back away, avoid direct eye contact and do not run, Fischer said. 

"Once in a position of safety, any person encountering a bear should dial 911 to alert the Police Department to the presence of the bear," he said. 

Update: A second bear sighting was reported in the vicinity of 21 Carpenter Road on Saturday morning and confirmed by the NPPD. Students have been advised to stay clear of the area. 

Stephen Weiss