Rutgers named the best four-year school in New Jersey

The University beat out 33 other top state institutions

23852_transportationupdateanacoutof
Photo by Ana Couto |

New Jersey schools were assessed on data regarding number of degrees offered, tuition and fees, flexibility, student services and rates of student graduation, and retention and transfer rates.

Rutgers — New Brunswick was recently named the best four-year university in New Jersey by schools.com

The University was ranked first, beating out other in-state competitors such as Ramapo College, The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT).

The website analyzed 33 New Jersey institutions for factors such as cost, flexible learning options and program availability, according their site. 

The schools were assessed on a 100-point scale using the most recent data available from government databases and based on criteria such as number of degrees offered, tuition and fees, flexibility, student services, and rates of student graduation, retention and transfer, according to tapinto.net.

"In addition to ranking first for the number of programs, it also ranks second for the number of distance education options available," according to the site. "As one of the best online colleges for New Jersey, Rutgers Online offers a number of master's degrees as well as bachelor degree completion programs in nursing and business administration."

Rutgers also held a top 10 ranking for the average net price and the low amount of debt carried by graduates.

According to their site, schools.com ranked 1,649 4-year colleges and universities in the U.S. Each school was scored on a 100-point scale, factoring in data including tuition, the cost of books, scholarship aid for low-income students, median debt of graduating students and more. 

"Rutgers University — New Brunswick has far and away the most degree programs available at any one institution in the state," according to the site.

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.