WebReg expands hours of operation to 2 a.m.

Students no longer have to fear being locked out at 12 p.m. while registering for classes

19008_webreg_samanthaf
Photo by samantha casimir |

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) worked with WebReg to introduce new hours that will allow students to work on their schedules past 11 p.m.

Rutgers students will now have an additional 25 hours per week to adjust their class schedules online.

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) has succeeded in working with WebReg, the site students use to register and adjust their schedules, to expand its hours of operation.

The site’s previous hours were from 6:30 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Monday through Friday and 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The new hours of operation will be from 6:30 to 2 a.m. every day, including during the course registration period.

Christopher Markosian, RUSA’s academic affairs chair and a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said working to expand the registration system's hours of operation has been on his to-do list since the election this past spring.

“Concerns have been continuously raised by the student body regarding the hours of operation of WebReg. In particular, many students question the closing period of the online service. Our goal as RUSA is to make the academic process easier for our students,” he said.

Markosian said that in addition to allowing students more time to adjust their schedules late at night when they are likely to be awake, the new hours of operation entail less confusion as they will be the same before, during and after the course registration period.

The reason WebReg is not available all day is because the system needs a window of about four to six hours for data backup in case of unexpected issues or emergencies. If WebReg were live at all times, the data would not be backed up accurately and thousands of student records and files would be jeopardized. 

Markosian, along with RUSA’s vice president, Christie Schweighardt, worked with Kenneth Iuso, Rutgers’ executive university registrar, to discuss options regarding WebReg’s hours of operation expansion.

“Iuso was more than willing to address our concerns,” Markosian said. “He was very receptive to requests regarding changes to the hours of operation in order to create a better experience for students.”

After discussing their options, Markosian, Schweighardt and RUSA president Evan Covello, decided to propose longer hours of operation while allowing ample time for data backup, he said. The proposal was also supported by multiple other RUSA chairs and representatives.

Iuso told The Daily Targum that there are no tradeoffs or implications surrounding this expansion of hours and that no additional money is required to go through with it.

“The changes to WebReg will affect all Rutgers undergraduate and graduate students across all three campuses, directly impacting a total of close to 70,000 people,” Schweighardt said. “RUSA is always committed to helping students first. We work with University faculty, staff and administration to address these concerns. RUSA’s success in improving WebReg is one of numerous examples of our commitment to serving our constituents.”

Stephen Weiss is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in philosophy. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Stephen Weiss