Kyle Bolin named starting quarterback for Rutgers Football

dsc_0992

As the fourth and final week of training camp kicked off on Monday afternoon, the Rutgers football team was finally able to settle its most important position battle.

Head coach Chris Ash officially named graduate transfer Kyle Bolin the starting quarterback for the Scarlet Knights, after a 3-week long competition between him, junior Giovanni Rescigno and true freshman Johnathan Lewis.

Bolin joined the team this summer after graduating from Louisville, where he played 3 seasons for the Cardinals. In his career, he threw for 2,104 yards, 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. 

As a freshman in 2014, he threw for 381 yards and 3 touchdowns in a win over rival Kentucky. Bolin played a fair amount in 2015, including a 362 yard, 3 touchdown performance in a win over Syracuse. He would lose the starting job to Lamar Jackson, who went on to win the Heisman Trophy in 2016.

He has one year to play at Rutgers and will join running back Gus Edwards and wide receiver Damon Mitchell as graduate transfers playing a key role for the Scarlet Knights on offense.

Rutgers opens up its season at home on Friday, September 1st at 8 p.m. against No. 8 Washington. The game will be televised live on FS1.

For updates on the Rutgers Football team, follow @TargumSports and @GriffinWhitmer on Twitter

Griffin Whitmer