Rutgers Football Training Camp Notebook: August 28th

For the Rutgers football team, it was the first game week practice of the 2017 season, with the Scarlet Knights preparing for a Friday night matchup with No. 8 Washington.

Head coach Chris Ash was as loud and intense as he has been all year on Monday afternoon, a sign of the increased importance of each practice.

The most important position heading into the contest will be quarterback, where graduate-transfer Kyle Bolin heads into his second week as the starter. He looked very sharp on Monday, with every pass he threw being tight and on the money. Every practice, it becomes more and more evident that he is the best quarterback on the team. He is also the only signal caller on the team that has been "knighted" by having the black stripe removed from his helmet. Being knighted signifies one is ready for battle, in this case, ready to play in a football game.

The following players have all been knighted, though let it be known that linebackers, running backs and offensive and defensive linemen all have protective pads over their helmets and could be knighted as well. There all also players that could be knighted and couldn't be seen clearly on Monday.

Quarterback Kyle Bolin

Wide receivers Damon Mitchell, Hunter Hayek, Everett Wormley and Dacoven Bailey.

Punters Michael Cintron and Ryan Anderson.

Cornerbacks Damon Hayes, Isaiah Wharton and Blessuan Austin.

As for the on-field performance, it was not a good day for the wide receivers. In a drill with no defense, six different receivers dropped passes that hit them right in the chest. The good news about those drops is that they were all on good passes, which shows the quarterbacks were having a strong day.

Running backs Gus Edwards continues to take first-team reps and looks to be the starter. However, Robert Martin is no longer wearing a green non-contact jersey and will also be a big part of the offense. 

In related green jersey news, Damon Mitchell is no longer wearing one. While Janarion Grant has been wearing one, it looks to be precautionary, as he has not been sitting out any drills and is going full speed with everything. There should be zero concern over his health for Friday.

Despite an early drop, freshman wide receiver Bo Melton had a really nice day, which included him putting a cornerback in the dust with a double move. Him, Hunter Hayek and Wormley have consistently had strong days and will all be important players for this team.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer