Rutgers Football Training Camp Notebook: August 18th

dsc_0155

After a surprise off-day for the Rutgers football team, it took the field on Friday morning to close out the third week of fall practice.

The biggest question surrounding the team has been the battle for the starting quarterback job, but Friday's practice left no clarity on that position.

During one team drill, junior Giovanni Rescigno took reps with the first team and true freshman Johnathan Lewis took reps with the second team, while graduate-transfer Kyle Bolin was off doing drills with the other quarterbacks on the roster.

During another team set, Bolin went with the first team and Rescigno took his reps with the backups.

Redshirt freshman Elorm Lumor has been coming along very well at defensive end and took reps with the first team. Senior Kemoko Turay will be the starter at that position, but Lumor should get plenty of playing time this season.

Junior Marcus Applefield seems to be settling into his role as the starting right guard. With him locking down that position, the starting offensive line is set. With Tariq Cole at left tackle, Dorian Miller at left guard, Jonah Jackson at center, Applefield and Kamaal Seymour at right tackle, the Scarlet Knight offensive line is in good hands.

On special teams, graduate-transfer Andrew Harte had a strong day kicking field goals, while true freshman Justin Davidovicz took the majority of reps as the kickoff specialist. 

While there is no question that Janarion Grant is the guy for kickoff and punt returns, true freshman Hunter Hayek did take some reps as a returner.

As for the wide receivers and tight ends, while not singling out any players, it was not a great day, as there were a lot of dropped passes, despite practice being indoors.

For updates on the Rutgers Football team, follow @TargumSports and @GriffinWhitmer on Twitter

Griffin Whitmer