Rutgers football training camp notebook: August 10th

The Rutgers football team took the field on Thursday in its second week of camp in preparation for the September 1st season opener against No. 7 Washington.

During the one hour period open to the media, there was not a lot to take away from, although special teams finally made an appearance.

As for the quarterback battle, graduate-transfer Kyle Bolin looks to be in the lead. When the team did a short run drill, he took both the first and second team reps, while the rest of the quarterbacks did another drill.

The other drill was a red-zone passing drill on the 5-yard line. Senior Zach Allen looked the sharpest, throwing thee touchdowns on his three reps.

Junior Giovanni Rescigno was just 2-6 on the drill, but had a couple of passes dropped. Freshman Johnathan Lewis struggled in that drill, going 1-6 with some miscommunication on the routes. 

The quarterbacks also did a deep ball drill, taking the snap at midfield and throwing 35-50 yard passes. It was clear that Lewis had the best arm of any of the quarterbacks, but Bolin was without a doubt the most accurate in the drill.

On special teams, true freshman Justin Davidovicz took all the reps as the kickoff specialist. At punter, where last year Michael Cintron set the Big Ten record for punts in a season, graduate transfer Ryan Anderson took the first team reps, with Cintron behind him.

At punt returner, freshmen Shameen Jones, Raheem Blackshear and Bo Melton were the three taking reps with Janarion Grant in a green non-contact jersey. With Grant expected to be ready for the season, not much should be made of that for this year, at least.

As for green non-contact jerseys, there are no changes from Monday's report. No new injuries is good news, and with the exception of Ahmir Mitchell, no projected starters should be missing from the season opener.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports and @griffinwhitmer on Twitter

Griffin Whitmer