As of this week, Rutgers students can use meal swipes at Henry's Diner and the Starbucks truck

Combined with the launch of UberEATS on campus, Rutgers will have no shortage of new food options for the coming semester

henrysdinerdantedelapava
Photo by Dante DeLaPava |

Rutgers students with meal plans can now use their swipes for a variety of food and drinks at Henry’s Diner on Livingston campus and at the mobile Starbucks trucks. For students looking to stay in, UberEATS also just launched their delivery program on campus.

Late-night Friday snacks are no longer limited to Easton Avenue and the surrounding areas, thanks to expanding meal options near Rutgers University.

Starting last Sunday, Henry’s Diner on Livingston campus started taking meal swipes at a value of $10. Henry's is a popular destination for students because of its location and their wide variety of food and drink options. 

They will follow basic rules implemented by Rutgers Dining Services, including accepting guest swipes and not allowing double swiping, according to their Twitter.

Henry’s Diner will take swipes daily Monday through Friday from 9-11 a.m., and from 2-11 p.m. Special events and game days are not included.

The Starbucks truck also began taking meal swipes earlier this month, according to their Twitter.

UberEATS also launched in New Brunswick earlier this month, partnering with McDonald’s to present "McDelivery." "McDelivery" allows students to place McDonald’s orders on the UberEATS mobile app or on UberEATS.com, track their order and have their meal delivered to them by delivery partners, according to a press release.

“With UberEATS, you can get the food you want, where you want it, delivered at Uber speed. We're thrilled to partner with McDonald's to give Rutgers students easy access to their McDonald’s favorites at the tap of a button," said Prabhdeep Singh, UberEATS New Jersey General Manager. “Our customers in New Brunswick and surrounding areas search for McDonald's in the UberEATS app almost daily, so we are excited to expand our reach and deliver what they've been craving."

The full menu will be available for delivery, excluding soft cones.

UberEATS launched in New Brunswick earlier in the month, in order to offer the Rutgers community the opportunity to order from local restaurants with the speed of Uber, said Craig Ewer, an Uber spokesperson.

“Working with tens of thousands of eateries around the world, we're helping restaurants grow their businesses by reaching new customers and making it easier for you to get the food you crave," he said.

Prices for UberEats depend on the restaurant in question, but Uber charges a booking fee, according to their site. Customers will be able to see the exact price of their meal and delivery before ordering.

Amanda Pisano, the brand reputation manager for the McDonald’s New York Metro Region, said that while this feature is new in the New Brunswick area, similar rollout has seen high adoption rates and high customer satisfaction.

"We've seen impressive results across New Jersey, with a growing number of eaters and restaurants using the UberEATS platform, and our plan is to continue expanding where possible,” Ewer said.

Chloe Dopico