Starting University can be confusing, but these tips can help

iborganizedjeffrey

Welcome to Rutgers, where the next 3-plus years of your life will be a literal heaven, hell or somewhere in between — a space where your locker gossip and promposals of your immediate past become Olympic sprints to class and countless all-nighters. I know this may seem overwhelming, but trust and believe there is a silver lining, you just have to look hard as hell for it. In the meantime, here are some tips to keep your eye on the prize.

1.Take and Find ALL the Free Ish!

When you first get into Rutgers, you will be bombarded with a lot of free stuff. From t-shirts to magnets and even laundry bags, you name it you will receive it. However, once the school year starts, the amount of free stuff starts to dwindle. My advice to you is that whenever there is an event that has a free raffle or item involved, please please PLEASE make it your business to attend. 

I don’t care if it’s a seminar on the history of basket weaving, make sure you are there. Also, don’t play yourself and miss an event with free food. A wise woman once said “Free food tastes the best,” and if you're low on swipes or don’t have a meal plan you can totally benefit from a free meal from time to time. College is expensive, so try to find ways to cut costs.

2. Make a schedule that Works for You.

I would like to give a special shout out to those who have mastered the art of time management. Y’all are the real MVPs, and I totally look to y’all for guidance. I cannot stress to y’all enough how CRUCIAL  time management is. We all know that we have a schedule for classes that need to be followed, but I highly recommend that you create a secondary schedule to include your classes, work schedule, homework/study hours and extracurriculars. 

Having a schedule made will allow you to budget your time and see what time you have left over for a quick turn up and mandatory self care. It is important to have a balance in your schedule because at the end of the day you still need to make time for yourself and your well being. Don’t be like me and try to be a superhero and a student. Take on what you can handle, and leave all the extra-ish for another time.

3. Don’t play around with your education.

Yes, froshies, all the stories are true. Rutgers can be a wild good time if you’re being SAFE and SMART about it. Safety is paramount, and it’s important that you go anywhere with caution and know your resources to maintain your safety. Secondly, please keep in mind that a College Avenue soiree is not the reason as to why you are here. 

You are here (hopefully) to earn a degree or pursue a career so that you can have a life for yourself and your legacy. Don’t mess that up because you wanted to be the Queen/King of the Keg. Take your studies seriously, and make sure that you are doing your best to do well. Please know that your registration, financial aid and future prospects are all dependent on your academic progress, so please be mindful and aware of the importance of school.

Lastly, remember that people are here to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and seek assistance. Good luck everyone, and as always be blessed, stay moisturized and live life!

Cheyenne Davis