Hub City Sounds brings local music, art to one place

braydenconcert

Last Sunday, the banks of the Raritan River hosted Rock New Brunswick, a local music festival presented by Hub City Sounds. The usually calm flow of the river was shaken by the energy and excitement brought to Boyd Park by the bands, vendors and fans of local music.

The energy could be felt the second you stepped down into the park. A dozen or so small tents held a beautiful selection of homemade art and goods, such as hats, skateboards and clothes, all made by local artists. 

Deeper into the park, the lawn was taken over by food trucks and the smell of sandwiches, ice cream, fried deliciousness and empanadas of all sorts. This is, of course, fitting for New Brunswick, considering the town’s love for delicious greasy cuisine.

The highlight of Hub City sounds though is, of course, the music. From 12 to 6 p.m. a variety of local artists took to the stages set up on each side of the DIY market. One stage had louder music for people to actively enjoy, while there was a softer acoustic set as a background for shoppers to browse to.

The music on the main stage was all technically rock, but it showed the wide variety of sound within the genre. In two hours the music changed from a bluesy rock to calmer relaxing vibes, to a seven-piece band with two rappers and some very intense show antics. But no matter what was playing, everything looked and sounded great, a reflection on the richness of the local music scene throughout the rest of the year.

This event was organized by Bob Makin, an active and passionate music writer in New Jersey. He introduced every band and reminded all the attendees how important the New Brunswick music scene. 

This collective of beautiful experiences and community members was a great time for the many musically inclined students.

Kai Kiernan