Money ranks Rutgers Business School No. 35 in U.S.

businessbuildingjeffrey

This year, Money ranked Rutgers 35th in the country for business, based on affordability, quality and career payoff. Within the Big Ten, Rutgers was placed 5th.

The Rutgers Business School has climbed up in the rankings again, according to a recent report by Money that placed Rutgers 35th in the country for business, tied with Michigan State University and the College of William and Mary.

The ranking was based on quality, affordability and the career payoff.

“As you can see, Rutgers Business School is No. 5 – tied with Michigan State University – among the Big Ten schools and ahead of many elite business schools mentioned in this ranking, including the University of California–Santa Barbara, New York University, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill and Boston University,” said Lei Lei, Dean of Rutgers Business School.

Lei said the brand of Rutgers Business School attributed to the school’s ranking.

“The brand of Rutgers Business School shows the unique strengths of our students and alumni. We pride ourselves on these values. Our students are resilient, resourceful and responsible,” Lei said. “When companies know and appreciate the value of your brand, they come to hire your students.”

Rutgers Business School junior Hana Kim said the business school has a great reputation and she is proud to be part of such an influential program. 

In 2015, the Rutgers Business School was recognized as the No. 1 business school in New Jersey and in 2016, it was recognized as the No. 1 public business school in the tri-state area, according to U.S. News & World Report. The business school continued its upward momentum when it was ranked the No. 1 public business school in the Northeast earlier this year by the Financial Times.

But there are some areas where the business school can improve on and the staff is rigorously working to do just that. 

“We’re working very hard to do even better in the rankings and to enhance our pre-eminence nationally and globally,” Lei said. “The momentum at Rutgers Business School has started to build. To sustain that momentum and to continue to move up, we have to focus more on our curriculum and program innovations. We have to continue to prepare our students to be the best academically and professionally, starting from day one, and serve the needs of our alumni for continued education and job skills. At RBS, our faculty and staff have been working diligently together to continue to enhance the currency of the RBS degree for our students, our alumni and their parents.”

The ranking helps the reputation and prestige of the Rutgers Business School, she said.

“When Rutgers Business School is highly ranked by organizations like Money Magazine, Poets & Quants and The Financial Times, it makes more people aware of the rising stature of the school and its programs. It helps to attract the best and the brightest New Jersey high school seniors to Rutgers, retain New Jersey talent and attract talent from outside New Jersey. For our faculty staff and alumni, for our students and their parents, for our donors and corporate sponsors, it makes them proud," Lei said.

During the course of the academic year, there are countless networking events at Rutgers Business School, she said. Some are sponsored by career management offices, some by individual academic programs or departments and some by student groups.

Some of the companies that regularly come to Rutgers Business School to network with students include Johnson & Johnson, Prudential Financial, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, Citigroup, L´Oreal, KPMG and Amazon, Lei said.

Lei said the Rutgers Business School focuses not only on academics but also the skills needed to go out into the business world.

“The business school offers various different networking opportunities. It really helps students not only to get their foot in the door but also gain a lot of skills employers are looking for," Kim said. “I think there’s a lot of emphasis for the school to understand what employers really want.”

In high school, Kim originally wanted to attend school out of state, but she said she is glad she decided to attend Rutgers.

“This ranking is great for incoming students because they’ll see the value of the Rutgers education and they’ll see that they don’t have to leave New Jersey to get a great business education,” Kim said. 

Kayon Amos is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in human resources. She is a contributing writer for The Daily Targum.

Kayon Amos