OrphanSporks starts the year on a high note with its fourth studio album release

onlineibgeorgettestillman
Photo by Georgette Stillman |

The NJC Lounge of the Douglass Student Center turned into a performance venue last Friday night, complete with string lights and photographs, to celebrate the fourth studio-album release of campus a cappella group OrphanSporks.  

This was OrphanSporks' first concert of the year and included alumni members to commemorate their new CD "Tracks."

“We’re extremely excited to debut our CD,” said Tenzin Tsepel, alto singer, former business manager of OrphanSporks and a School of Arts and Sciences senior. “I think the thing we’re most excited about is having all of our alums come back so we really get to see a lot of generations of Sporks coming together and creating this project.”

The concert setlist consisted exclusively of the songs selected for the album, plus an impromptu encore with all of the original soloists, who went back on stage to sing. 

“We basically chose a lot of the crowd favorites and within-group favorites … (The assistant musical director and I) gave the set to the entire group and (they) heard the songs that they weren’t in and didn’t know and they liked it,” she said. “We haven’t made a CD in seven or eight years … so we had to incorporate the good songs we’ve sung (over the years and) it was hard to do that when I haven’t been in the group for eight years.”

Alto singer, former musical director and Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy sixth-year Amy Kim said that the process to decide which songs to put on "Tracks" was one of the hardest parts.

“This concert is just kind of a culmination of all that super hard work and we’re all really proud of it,” said Ben Fischer, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and assistant business manager. “I think we’re all very happy with how it turned out and … it’s awesome, we’re on a CD, so it’s a lot of fun.”

Georgette Stillman