NCAA names penalties on Rutgers in response to football violations

online_hobbs_edwin

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs

After a 2-year investigation into the Rutgers football program, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has issued a final ruling in regards to the penalties the program will incur.

On Friday afternoon, the NCAA released its final ruling and issued out numerous penalties:

• Public reprimand and censure for the university.
  • Two years of probation from Sept. 22, 2017, through Sept. 21, 2019.
  • A one-year show-cause period for the former head coach from Sept. 22, 2017, through Sept. 21, 2018. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must show cause why he should not have restrictions on athletically related activity.
  • A three-game suspension for the former head coach during the 2015 football season (self-imposed by the university).
  • A one-year show-cause period for the former assistant coach from Sept. 22, 2017, through Sept. 21, 2018. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must restrict him from all off-campus recruiting activities.
  • A reduction in the number of off-campus recruiting days by a total of 10 during 2017-18, with five days in the fall evaluation period and five in the spring evaluation period (self-imposed by the university).
  • A limit of 36 football official visits during 2017-18, a reduction of four from the average number of visits used during the four most recent years and 26 fewer than permitted by NCAA rules (self-imposed by the university).
  • A prohibition of phone calls, social media contact and written correspondence with prospects for a one-week period during 2017-18 (self-imposed by the university).
  • A $5,000 fine (self-imposed by the university).

The good news for Rutgers is there are no major penalties that will deplete the football team. There are no scholarship reductions and no postseason ban. The real hit comes on former head coach Kyle Flood and a unnamed former assistant, who will both be severely restricted if they were to have jobs in college football.

Flood is currently an offensive line assistant with Atlanta Falcons in the NFL.

The other penalties will affect recruiting operations in the next year, but are not detrimental and very minor. By self-reporting the violations, Rutgers set itself up to be penalized in a non-severe way and it's clear that decision helped the athletic department.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @GriffinWhitmer and @TargumSports on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer