Rutgers vs Eastern Michigan: Stock Up, Stock Down

img_3304

Stock Up

These players performed well and improved their stock

HB Robert Martin

Once again, Martin had a great game. He ran hard every time he touched the ball and was lightning quick. He finished with 68 yards on 13 carries and was the go-to drive on Rutgers' first drive of the second half, which led to a field goal.

HB Gus Edwards

After a slow first half, Edwards definitely picked things up. His 23-yard touchdown run to give the Knights the lead in the third quarter was a huge moment in the game. Despite being a big back, he showed elite quickness to find the hole and accelerate through to find the end zone. Him and Martin are proving to be a fantastic duo at running back. Edwards finished with 56 rushing yards and a touchdown.

WR/KR Janarion Grant

A week after being on the wrong side of this list, Grant looked like a completely different player. Every time he touched the ball on special teams, it looked like he was on the cusp of breaking free for a touchdown. He was also the team's most effective receiver, catching X passes for XX yards. Against Washington, he seemed timid and not aggressive with the ball in his hands. On Saturday, he looked fast, agile and a threat to take it to the house every time the ball was in his hands.

Stock Down

These players did not perform well and need to show improvement.

OLB Ross Douglas

Often times, Douglas looked like a liability in coverage. As a former defensive back and an undersized linebacker, coverage should be his strong suit. However, he was often beat over the middle and gave up a lot of completions. Unfortunately, there is really no one else Rutgers can put in that position, as incumbent starter Tyreek Maddox-Williams' season-ending injury has left the group depleted.

Rutgers cornerbacks

As a cornerback, Isaiah Wharton was Eastern Michigan quarterback Brogan Roback's favorite target. Wharton was often challenged on jump balls, which he did not play very well. As a unit, the corners were unable to turn their heads around on most passes and were either called for pass interference or beaten for a reception. Damon Hayes struggles as well and Blessuan Austin was beaten by the Eastern Michigan receivers a number of times.

Coaching

This is the second straight week that the coaching, especially that of head coach Chris Ash, has not been great. Ash's plan to get freshman quarterback Johnathan Lewis snaps was bizarre, as he played two isolated snaps, in which he came out right of the game after. Additionally, the play calling of offensive coordinator Jerry Kill was suspect at time, especially in the first half.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports and @GriffinWhitmer on Twitter.

Griffin Whitmer