Rutgers hopes to build off "promising last round" into Janney Invitational

p11tokspedrodt915

The Rutgers men’s golf team looks to rebound from a 13th-place finish at the Badger Invitational last week as it heads to Richmond, Virginia on Monday for the Janney Invitational. The tournament will take place at the Country Club of Virginia – Tuckahoe Creek Course, a par-72, 6,927-yard course. The 54-hole, three round, team stroke play event will begin on Monday, Sept. 18 with the first 36 holes and will conclude with the final 18 which will be played on Tuesday, Sept. 19. 

This will be the Knights’ second event of the fall after a disappointing start to their season last week in Madison. In addition to the host VCU, Rutgers will be going up against 10 other schools which include Coastal Carolina, James Madison, Radford, Charlotte, Maryland, Richmond, Virginia Tech, George Washington, Old Dominion and West Virginia. 

James Madison is the reigning champion of this tournament after taking home the title the last time the Janney Invitational was played in 2015. The Dukes stole the crown from three-time tournament champion Virginia Tech, who claimed wins in Richmond in 2012, 2013 and 2014. One would expect James Madison and Virginia Tech to be among the leaders come Tuesday.

The Knights look to join them atop those standings after a promising last round of play in Madison on Tuesday. Rutgers got off to a shaky start at the Badger Invitational after shooting a 298 and 299 in the first and second rounds respectively, good enough for plus-10 and 11 strokes.

But they finished only four-over-par in the final round after shooting a much improved 292. The Knights aim to build off that momentum and carry it into Richmond.

Last week Rutgers sent out seniors Toks Pedro and Matt Holuta, sophomore Tony Jiang, and freshmen Oliver Whatley and Chris Gotterup as its starting five. It is yet to be known what the starting five will be next week, but one thing is for sure — senior captain Toks Pedro will be part of it. 

The senior standout dominated last week in Madison after finishing tied for tenth overall in the field. He looks to resume his impressive start to the season in Richmond. Tony Jiang also looks to continue his hot start after shooting a 71 in the final round of the Badger Invitational. If both Pedro and Jiang can maintain their winning strokes the Knights have the potential to make some serious noise in Richmond. 

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Stephan Zatz