Rutgers ranks among top Universities for economic mobility

nationalaccoladesdimitri

According to a newly released report, Rutgers is in the top 20 percent of online universities for economic mobility. This is defined by the likelihood of students to move from the bottom 5 percent to the top 5 percent. 

Rutgers has been named among the top online colleges for student economic mobility in 2017, according to an SR Education Group report.

Out of 2,273 colleges considered for the report, only 97 made the cut. Eligible schools have a mobility rate in the top 20 percent of colleges that offer 10 or more fully online degrees at the associate level or higher.

A school’s mobility rate refers to the percentage of students in the bottom fifth of the United States income distribution that rise to the top fifth.

Rutgers scored 93.4 in its mobility rate percentile, which is a measure of how its mobility rate scores in comparison to other eligible schools. This indicates Rutgers has a mobility rate in the top 10 percent of schools offering 10 or more online degrees. All mobility rate data was gathered from The Equality of Opportunity Project.

“When initially researching student economic mobility rates in U.S. institutions, we found out that 38 colleges in the U.S. had more students from the top 1 percent than the bottom 60 percent. This speaks to concerns about access to higher education and who is able to attend college and move up the economic ladder,” Victoria Duan, a representative of the SR Education Group said.

Duan said this report is an important resource for students to connect them with schools offering quality, affordable education.

“Rutgers’ score of 93.4 is a great mobility rate percentile and is high even among the other chosen 'Top Online Schools for Student Economic Mobility,'” Duan said.

Rutgers offers three fully online bachelor’s degrees, 14 master’s degrees and one doctoral degree in clinical nutrition.

“Our website, GuidetoOnlineSchools, caters toward prospective students who are specifically looking for online degrees. Making sure a college offers at least 10 fully online degrees is a requirement that we have in place specifically for our niche schools," Duan said. "We want to make sure that students interested in our niche lists find a variety of online degrees for each school."

Gabriela Amaral