Scarlet Knights look to open season strong at Rutgers Invitational

p11emilymillsdt1015

After starting off very strong with two top-three finishes in 2016 and falling to last place in the final three tournaments, the Rutgers women's golf team looks to start off strong at the Rutgers Women's Invitational this Friday and Saturday.

The team will be co-captained by senior Emily Mills and junior Ashleigh Greenham. Both Scarlet Knights have been regarded as a Big Ten Preseason Player to Watch over the past two seasons.

Mills has had previous success at the Rutgers Women's Invitational and is a serious contender to win the tournament. Last season she took home first place to win the event with a score of 220 (74-71-75). In 2015 she placed 15th out of 58 competitors at the event as well with a 235 (82-74-79).

Greenham, in her second season at Rutgers after transferring from Arizona State, had two runner-up finishes last season. The first one coming at the Nittany Lion Invitational with a 217 (73-72-72) and the second at the Lady Blue Hen Invitational with a 228 (80-73-75)

Head coach Kari Williams enters her fourth season with the Knights and will look to have her team start strong on the Banks this upcoming weekend.

Following a quiet 2016-2017 season with having only one top-25 finish, senior Tatum Jackson returns to help her teammates once again to achieve victory.

Also returning for the team are sophomores Carrie-Ann Lee and Ana Maria Cortes. Lee held a 78.63 stroke average in her freshman season and also earned a spot on the Big Ten Preseason Player to Watch list alongside Mills and Greenham. Cortes averaged 80.74 in her first season on the links and earned one top-15 finish shooting 234 (76-79-79) at the Lady Blue Hen Invitational.

Junior Astrid Aneman returns for her third season. The Sweden native is looking to feed off of her performance at the BYU at Entrada Classic. She finished tied for 33rd shooting a 233 (79-76-78).

Rutgers has added some new faces to the 2017-2018 roster with two new recruits. Freshmen Harriet Allsebrook and Lori Char open their Knight golf careers this weekend.

Allsebrook, from Shropshire, England, competed in the English Women's Amateur Championship this past July. She finished tied for 16th, playing aside one of her new teammates, Ashleigh Greenham, who didn't make the cut for the event after the first two rounds of competition.

Char comes all the way from Hawaii to begin her Rutgers journey. She competed in the The Optimist International Junior Golf Championship and shot 312 (76-75-82-79) in the four round event. She averaged a 75 shot average in her senior year at the Kamehameha Schools Kapālama in Honolulu.

The Rutgers Women's Invitational will be the first of five fall tournaments for Rutgers and the only one that will be at home. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Justin Bonhard