BOZTEPE: Students’ reservations regarding Rutgers can be relieved

Opinions Column: Kaanotations

RU Rah Rah? No, I’m seriously curious, are you "RU Rah Rah?" yet, or do you still need time to adjust being back in school? Summer passed by as fast as it came, and students are back to overcrowding buses, going down the wrong hallways and making new friends as they continue to embark on their academic goals. It’s that time of year where we should determine how to become successful and how to maintain that success,  especially for our new first year students and transfers students.

Whether it’s from your friend, professor, advisor or parent, every student has heard these two words: Time management. This will always be in the top-three most important concepts to follow and adapt into your daily lives, especially if you want to succeed. A student with no planning, no separation between fun and study, can never truly achieve the academic potential they have. Plan ahead what you’d like to wear, check the weather the night before, leave for the bus stop 10 to 15 minutes earlier than usual. This will be the difference between you sitting nice and comfortably on the bus working on a paper or being the student that sprints to the bus, completely distraught, barely having space to breathe let alone getting ahead on work.

The next topic is more important for those of you who are just entering Rutgers, something we know and love — your grade point average. It will never be higher than your first day of classes. Each student starts their college career with a 4.0, equivalent to 100. Sounds great in theory, right? Well, the key thing to know here is that your grade can drop very easily, but it, unfortunately, cannot be raised as easily. If your freshman year consists of everything aside from school itself, and you end up with a 2.4 GPA, you will likely spend the next three years trying to get your GPA above a 3.0 if you’re lucky. But I’ll share a little secret right now that can save you from that trouble. If you show up to class, participate in most classes and show an intent of wanting to learn, you would have fulfilled three out of the four requirements each professor truly asks for. The last requirement is your homework/assignments which in truth, if you do your best and continue showing your commitment to learning, you will be on the right path to keep your GPA above a 3.0.

Find your nook. A spot on campus where you feel tranquil, focused and fueled. Make this place your go to for midterms and finals studying. It could be a corner room in a graduate school building, the basement of your lounge or even the dining hall — it is completely up to you what works best. But with that, try to make it somewhere you can best utilize the study sources on campus such as the library and computer labs. Students carry one flash drive, do their homework and save it onto their laptop later within seconds. We are the generation of fast and accessible technology, so I advise you to continue following the new trends of technology and do not ignore any hacks or tips that may prove to save you valuable time.

Get involved on campus. Now is the time for you to really build your character. Rutgers has over 40,000 students, if you strongly dislike the first 200 people you meet, don’t be alarmed, because person No. 201 might be a great person. Look into clubs that peak your interest or that could strengthen your public speaking. 

Last, and usually most forgotten as people choose between the extremes of overworking and underworking, find your balance. College is the time for you to shine, for you to express yourself and for you to learn from some of the best professors in the world while making friends you may have for a lifetime. Balance your classwork, your time for friends, for sleep, for fitness, for anything you may do. But most importantly balance some time for yourself. Go take a walk, take a nap, see a friend, take a deep breath. You’ve made it this far, so close to the finish line. As I welcome you all to Rutgers I want my main point to all of you who are reading this to be these three words: you’re not alone. You aren’t the only first-year student, sophomore or transfer student. You will be faced with difficult dilemmas, have misunderstandings with professors, and so on. What matters is how you react and reshape your plans. Don’t let anyone break your spirit. Keep your energy positive, keep chanting that "Rah Rah" and of course, welcome to Rutgers University.

Kaan Jon Boztepe is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore double majoring in philosophy and history. His column, "Kaanotations," runs on alternate Fridays. 

Kaan Jon Boztepe