WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | September 8, 2017

RUTGERS ON TOP

While we were out enjoying summer vacation, the University earned a prestigious title. Rutgers—New Brunswick was named the best four-year university in New Jersey. This ranking came in first, beating other universities such as The College of New Jersey (TCNJ), the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) and Ramapo College. We laurel Rutgers for its excellence and schools.com for recognizing its dedication to providing a well-rounded experience.

FIX THE NUMBERS

Due to an increasingly refined counting process, the number of homeless people in Middlesex County has increased from 2016 by 20 percent. The count was carried out by Monarch Housing Associates, which attempts to end homelessness through development, planning, advocacy and partnerships. So although these numbers have existed without our knowledge before, we dart the fact that the percentage of homelessness is higher than we expected.

RUSA WORKS HARD FOR RU

The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) has been working with the University this summer and was successful in extending WebReg hours by a significant amount throughout the week. Now, RUSA plans on meeting with New Jersey legislators about gaining a student vote on the Board of Governors. We laurel the time and hard work RUSA is putting in to ensure that the voices of the student body are heard.

(WE CAN'T) SAVE THE ALLEY

It seems as though the fight to bring back "The Alley" has ended. The Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) has met multiple times with the Department of Athletics to no avail. Although we fully understand that the University is making these decisions for the safety of the students, we still dart that students are losing something that they enjoyed.

NEW CHAIN IS MAKING BREAD

There was some reluctance last semester when students heard that Panera Bread was going to replace the Au Bon Pain on College Avenue, however, now that it is in place, it has been very successful in attracting business. Many claim the success to be to the well-known name of the franchise, but either way, we laurel the University’s choice in adding a chain to the campus that students respond so well too.

STAY IN YOUR LANE

This year, Rutgers implemented its “quasi bus lane,” which has been designated with painted blocks. And while these were put in to make traffic move more smoothly, it seems as if they have done the opposite. Instead, the bus lane does not fit an entire bus, so it causes overlapping and thus, more traffic and confusion than before. We dart the ill-preparation of these lanes.