Sweet, savory, spooky: fast, fun halloween recipes

ibfoodjuliaterranova
Photo by Julia Terranova |

Are you hosting a party at your house this Halloweekend? Getting together with some friends to get ready to go out? You’ll probably want some snacks. Instead of serving regular, non-festive snacks, get in the Halloween spirit with these creepy and cute snacks that will be the hit of your party. 

For a savory recipe, try the super-easy to make mummified pigs-in-a-blanket. To mummify the classic mini dogs, wrap them up in sliced biscuit dough and add blood red eyes with pieces of red pepper. A little ketchup-blood also isn’t a bad idea!

Mummy Pigs in a Blanket

Ingredients

Mini cocktail franks (about 20)

1 container biscuit dough (we used Pillsbury Crescent rolls)

1 red pepper

Ketchup and mustard, for serving

Directions 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Cut the red pepper into tiny squares for the eyeballs.

Open the biscuit dough and cut it into very skinny strips. Take one end of the strip of dough and wrap it around the cocktail frank, making sure to leave gaps and overlap the dough in places so it looks like a mummy.

Place the red pepper eyeballs on, then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes until the dough is browned.

After the mummies, satisfy that sweet tooth with spooky chocolate bark. This easy recipe only calls for a microwave and some creativity. The recipe features candy eyeballs, which you can find at any grocery store around this time of year.

Spooky Chocolate Bark

Ingredients

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup white chocolate chips

1 package candy eyeballs

Mini M&M's

Directions

Line a baking pan with parchment paper.

Pour the semisweet chocolate chips into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until the chips are entirely melted. Pour melted chocolate onto the baking sheet then spread out into a thin, even layer.

Decorate! Scatter the candy eyeballs around the chocolate, then add the M&M's (we only used the orange ones). You could also add other ingredients, such as candy corn or crushed pretzels. Sprinkle a little bit of salt over everything.

In a smaller microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips. You may need to add a little bit of vegetable oil to get the chocolate runny. Use a fork to quickly drizzle the melted chocolate over the chocolate bark.

Place chocolate bark in the fridge for about two hours to set, then break into pieces and eat. 

Julia Terranova