LETTER: NJPIRG is making strides for accessible healthy food choices

Recently, I read an article that was featured in The Daily Targum entitled “NJPIRG raises awareness of new ‘Chain Reaction Report’ at media event on George Street” by Max Marcus. I am glad this article was written, because antibiotics resistance is an important issue that deserves attention.

Although antibiotics are sometimes misused in the medical field, they are also widely overused on factory farms. Oftentimes the antibiotics are given to animals that are not even sick just to fatten them up quicker. That routine use can fuel the spread of drug-resistant bacteria.

I like that NJPIRG is targeting food chains, as the decisions they make regarding what they buy from suppliers can truly make a difference.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that at least 23,000 Americans die each year from resistant infections, and millions more get sick.

The good news is that consumers have a lot of power to make change by calling on major restaurants to stop buying from farms that raise animals with routine antibiotic use. McDonald’s, Subway and KFC have taken concrete steps to phase out routine antibiotic use from their meat supply chains, and that has made some big ripple effects in the meat industry.

So tell other regional chains, like Wawa, that are lagging behind to stop serving meat raised on routine antibiotics, and help improve public health.

Swetcha Ananthu is a Rutgers Business School sophomore.

Swetcha Ananthu