Power outage on Busch last week left students and residents in the dark

After last semester's outage on Cook campus, many students questioned the maintenance practices of the University

buschpoweroutagedantedelapava
Photo by DANTE DE LA PAVA |

A University spokesperson said the power outage resulted from a piece of equipment malfunctioning during installation. The outage affected multiple residence halls, the Busch Student Center and parts of the Davidson complex.

A portion of Busch campus’ power grid went out for about an hour on Wednesday, leaving the Campus Center and many of the surrounding residence halls without electricity.

The power outage lasted from approximately 2:30 to 3:10 p.m., and was caused by the malfunctioning of equipment that facilities crews were installing, said Neal Buccino, the assistant director of Public and Media Relations at Rutgers.

Affected areas included residence halls such as Judson, Crosby, Morrow, Thomas, McCormick and Winkler, in addition to the Davidson complex and parts of the Busch Campus Center, he said.

No classes were canceled and no evacuations were necessary.

Margy Benavides, an Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy sophomore, is a student worker at the Library of Science and Medicine (LSM) on Busch campus and was there during the outage.

She said that the Library of Science and Medicine never lost power, but the lights flickered.

“I heard from students coming in and from Facebook that part of Busch had lost power,” Benavides said. “The students seemed pretty calm about it, but most of them did come up to the front desk where I was working to double check that LSM had power, and had internet.”

The outage affected students who were taking online classes or had to hand in work online, as well as anyone who generally needed to use the internet, she said.

“Also, that day it was very hot, so people who needed AC were also inconvenienced,” Benavides said.

Benavides said that she thinks the University should look into investing more into upgrading and maintaining its infrastructure to prevent things like this from happening again.

“I mean, Rutgers is a Big Ten state school, with a very big student body,” she said. “Stuff like this, and what happened last year with Cook/Dougie losing power, shouldn't be allowed to happen.”

Stephen Weiss is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in philosophy. He is an associate news editor for The Daily Targum.

Stephen Weiss