Rutgers doubleheader at Yankee Stadium moved back to campus

Rutgers will receive a $750K refund

theyankeestadiumdimitri

An extended postseason run by the Yankees has pushed "Battle in the Bronx" to Highpoint Solutions Stadium. The University doubleheader is now set for Nov. 4 with kickoff at 3:30 p.m.

The Rutgers doubleheader originally slated to take place in Yankee Stadium will now occur at High Point Solutions Stadium.

The "Battle in the Bronx," set to take place Nov. 4, was moved to High Point Solutions Stadium in Piscataway due to the longevity of the Yankees’ postseason run, according to Rutgers Athletics.

"The joint decision between Rutgers and the Yankees was necessary in order to allow a sufficient amount of time to logistically stage the events in Piscataway due to the Yankees’ current postseason run,” the email reads.

In the email, Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs said everyone was looking forward to the staging of this historic event at Yankee Stadium.

“With two weeks until the date, it was important for us to finalize details that help ensure our fans and our student-athletes have a one-of-a-kind experience. As a result of the Yankees’ amazing postseason run, there were operational concerns that called for us to make a decision at this time. It was agreed that moving the game to High Point Solutions Stadium was the best option under the circumstances,” he said.

Senior Associate Athletic Director for Communications Kevin Lorincz said there is a multitude of logistics involved with hosting a Big Ten Conference football game, and that adequate timing is integral to ensure all elements of the production.

He said that the Athletics Department currently does not have anything in the works to schedule a game at Yankee Stadium next year.

The doubleheader at Yankee Stadium was set to cost Rutgers approximately $750,000 in order to rent out the venue.

“As the only FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) football program in the New York metropolitan area, and New York's Big Ten team, this gives us an opportunity to partner with the Yankees, the greatest franchise in sports. The Yankees will promote this event throughout the summer and into the fall. That's great for all of us at Rutgers,” Hobbs said.

The original agreement to host the "Battle in the Bronx" in Yankee Stadium was originally negotiated by the former athletic administration at Rutgers, and the current administration decided to honor the agreement and go through with the matchup, Hobbs said.

Hobbs had originally said the Yankee Stadium game was an opportunity to show off one of the best wrestling programs in the country and one of the fastest improving football teams.

“We will continue to engage fans and consumers in the metropolitan market, the East Coast and beyond, to enhance the Rutgers brand for football and for all of our intercollegiate programs. We are proud to be the only Power 5 conference program in the nation’s largest media market,” he said.

Kickoff for the game is set for 3:30 p.m. at High Point Solutions Stadium.

"(I am) disappointed. I was looking forward to playing the game at Yankee Stadium for some of our players and their family, but happy that we got another home game back here,” Rutgers football head coach Chris Ash said at his weekly football press conference on Monday. “We were looking at four (more) games away from our stadium, which was going to be tough."

Chloe Dopico

chloedopico@gmail.com