Rutgers takes 2nd place at Georgetown Intercollegiate behind Holuta, Gotterup successes

p11holutadt915

The Rutgers men’s golf team completed its fourth tournament of the fall on Tuesday, as it wrapped up the Georgetown Intercollegiate at the Member Club at Four Streams Club in Beallsville, Maryland.

It was a fantastic all-around tournament for the Scarlet Knights both as a team and individually. Rutgers finished in second out of the 10-team field and finished just 3 strokes behind the host and champion, Georgetown.

Due to terrible playing conditions on Monday during the first two rounds, this was a very unorthodox tournament, as Georgetown secured its title with a very high score of 894 (42-over-par). That goes to show just how difficult the conditions were and makes Rutgers’ second-place finish that more impressive. The Knights finished with a score of 897 (45-over-par). 

Seton Hall rounded out the top three, one stroke behind Rutgers with a score of 898 (46-over-par). The second-place finish is the highest team finish for the Knights this fall, and it is the third straight tournament in which they improved their position on the leaderboard. 

Rutgers has improved with every tournament so far, which is very encouraging. It was also its second straight top-three finish as its finished third last week at the Mountaineer Invitational in Bridgeport, West Virginia.

Both senior Matt Holuta and freshman Christopher Gotterup closed out the event tied for first with four other players. After a six-man playoff, Holuta and Gotterup finished tied for second, both with a score of 219 (6-over-par), to clinch back-to-back top 10 finishes for them both. 

Freshman Oliver Whatley tied for 21st after shooting a 228 (14-over-par) and senior Toks Pedro finished tied for 36th with a score of 232 (18-over-par).

All in all, it was a strong two days in Maryland for the Knights. Rutgers looks to finish its fall season strong when it heads to Kiawah, South Carolina for the Kiawah Classic on Oct. 30. The only thing left to accomplish for the Knights this fall is a team title, and that will certainly be their goal to close out the fall.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Stephan Zatz