Rutgers takes 3rd at Mountaineer Invitationals after hot start

onlineholutadt

The Rutgers men’s golf team finished up play in Bridgeport, West Virginia on Tuesday at The Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational. As a team, the Knights finished third out of the 16-team field to secure their highest finish of the season as they continue to improve each week. Rutgers shot an 868 (4-over-par) in the three-round tournament at Pete Dye Golf Club. 

The first round was impressive for the Knights, racking up the top team total, as they shot a 282 (6-under-par) but then faltered in the second round with a disappointing score of 298 (10-over-par). 

Rutgers did bounce back in the final round on Tuesday with a solid score of 288, which was good enough for par and the third-place finish. But without that disappointing second round, the Knights, perhaps, could have finished even higher on the leaderboard, as they finished just two strokes behind second-place West Virginia and just 4 strokes back of the champion, Bowling Green.

Individually, senior captain Matt Holuta was the star in Bridgeport, tying for third overall, as he shot a 213 (3-under-par) through the three-round tournament. Holuta hovered close to par throughout the first two rounds with a 71 (1-under-par) and 76 (4-over-par). 

The senior then was locked in for the final round as he shot a masterful 66 (6-under-par), which included an impressive six birdies, to assure his top-three finish. 

In addition to Holuta, sophomore Tony Jiang and freshman Christopher Gotterup both finished tied for 10th overall, after shooting par through the three rounds. Oliver Whatley, who was coming off his individual victory at the Janney Invitational, was less impressive this time around, finishing tied for 43rd. 

Toks Pedro, who had notched two consecutive top-10 finishes in the team’s first two tournaments, didn’t have his A-game in Bridgeport either, as he finished tied for 66th.

Even with the sub-par play of those two stars, Rutgers still found its way to a top-three finish, which goes to show just how deep this team is. All in all, it was quite an impressive tournament for the Knights.

Rutgers heads to the nation’s capital on Sunday, as it gets set for its fourth tournament of the fall, the 33rd annual Georgetown Intercollegiate. The tournament will take place at the par 71 6,950-yard Four Streams golf course in Beallsville, Maryland. 

The three round team strokeplay event will begin on Sunday with the first round of play and will conclude next Tuesday with the final round of play. The Knights look to continue their hot streak and keep the momentum rolling as they head down to Washington, D.C.

For updates on the Rutgers men's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Stephan Zatz