Rutgers places 3rd in Metropolitan Championship

onlinenadiasaponarajeffrey

The Rutgers women’s cross county team placed third overall at the Metropolitan Championship 5-kilometer race at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, New York last Friday.

The Scarlet Knights fell short of achieving what would have been their third Metropolitan title since 2014.

Instead, Manhattan placed first with 49 points overall and an average time of 18:58. Last season’s Metropolitan champion, Fordham, followed as runner-up with 54 team points and an average time of 19:04.

Rutgers finished third with 83 points overall, a team average of 19:21 and four new personal records.

The Knights had all seven of their runners finish within the top-25 in the Bronx.

Sophomores Nadia Saponara and Emma Bergman led Rutgers and cracked the top-15 at the end of the hilly course.

Saponara finished the course 12th overall with a new best time of 19:12.6, ousting her previous record of 19:56.9 set at last year’s Metropolitan Championships. Bergman earned a time of 19:14.5, placing 14th overall.

After leading the Knights in the first three races of the season, freshman Olympia Martin trailed the two sophomores, placing 18th overall with a time of 19:23.2.

Junior Genevieve Cickavage placed 19th overall with a new personal record of 19:23.9, besting her previous record of 19:32.4 set at last month’s Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown.

Freshman Kaitlyn Bragen capped the top-20 at the race, placing 20th overall and earning a new personal record of 19:25.8, which surpassed her last 5K effort of 19:47.8 also set at last months race in Boston, Massachusetts.

Senior Alexandra Juzwiak placed 21st overall with a time of 19:30.5, while sophomore Lou Mialhe was the final Knight to cross the finish-line placing 24th overall in 19:40 and toppling her last 5K effort of 19:54 set in Boston.

Despite placing third at the Metropolitan Championships, the result will likely aid Rutgers in its quest to move further up the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Mid-Atlantic Regional Rankings after being ranked No. 15 earlier this month.

Next time out, the Knights’ cross country season will culminate with the Big Ten Championships at the Indiana University Championship Cross Country Course in Bloomington, Indiana on Sunday, Oct. 29.

For updates on Rutgers women's cross country team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton