Rutgers places 37th with six personal records at Paul Short Run

p10robinsondt315

The Rutgers women’s cross country team placed 37th overall and collected six new personal records (PRs) at last Friday’s 44th-annual Paul Short Run six-kilometer (6k) race hosted by Lehigh.

The Scarlet Knights saw freshman runner Olympia Martin yet again leading the pack in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, this time by being the only team member to earn a sub-22-minute time at the Goodman Campus Cross Country Course, according to the Scarlet Knights website.

Martin ended up finishing the race in 21:31, good for her best 6k collegiate effort and an overall placement of 132 out of 369 runners, according to RunHigh.com.

Rutgers earned a total of 922 points after the dust had settled at Lehigh.

Taking first place at this year’s Paul Short Run was No. 21 Utah State, which earned 72 points in its victory.

Despite the trailing results on paper, head coach James Robinson was pleased with his team’s second effort at Lehigh.

"We're heading in the right direction and we'll continue to improve as the season continues,” Robinson said, according to the Scarlet Knights website.

Following Martin were nine other runners for the youthful Rutgers squad, including five additional PRs.

Senior Alexandra Juzwiak just missed a sub-22-minute mark, earning a new personal best of 22:03 (200) — her best 6k time since the 2014 Big Ten Championship.

Sophomore Emma Bergman, who had placed a personal emphasis on the Knights getting as close to 22 minutes as possible, had to be pleased with the progression displayed in Bethlehem.

She earned a new PR of 22:12 (217), her best time since the Lehigh Invitational only a few weeks back.

Sophomore Stephanie Mauer was the next best runner for Rutgers, posting a new PR of 22:15 (224) — her best since the 2016 Paul Short Run.

Sophomore Nadia Saponara followed Mauer at 22:19 (233).

Freshman Kiera Nealon bested her Lehigh Invitational 6k time of 22:44, running the Paul Short course in 22:20 (236).

Sophomore Lou Mialhe finished the 6k in 22:35 (270) which ousted her previous best of 22:50 set at last year’s Paul Short Run.

Rounding out the PRs for the Knights was sophomore Kelsey Farbanish, who ran the course in 24:07 (351) — besting her 6k time of 24:54 set earlier in the month at the Lehigh Invitational.

Junior Genevieve Cickavage finished the 6k in 22:49, good for 288th overall.

Freshman Kaitlyn Bragen earned a time of 23:22, placing 320th overall.

Next time out, Rutgers will compete in the Metropolitan Championships hosted by Fordham at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, New York, where the team has earned two titles since 2014, on Friday, October 13.

For updates on the Rutgers women's cross country team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton