Rutgers comes in at No. 15 in Mid-Atlantic Regional Poll

pg_14_womens_lax_robinsonedwin_copy

The Rutgers women’s cross country team is now ranked No. 15 in the NCAA Division I Women’s Cross Country Mid-Atlantic Regional Rankings, by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).

The Scarlet Knights enter as the last team on the list in the Mid-Atlantic region behind a top-five of Villanova (1), last year’s regional champion No. 9 Penn State (2), No. 23 Georgetown (3), West Virginia (4) and Princeton (5).

Rutgers last appeared in the Mid-Atlantic Regional Rankings at No. 13 for the first three weeks of the 2016 campaign.

Head coach James Robinson said his goal was to “break into the top ten in the region,” he told ScarletKnights.com

He also said that the Knights need to keep building on its initial success, especially the effort of his younger athletes.

Freshman Olympia Martin has led Rutgers in all three September races to start off the 2017 season.

Martin also bested her 6-kilometer record in the Knights’ last effort at the 44th-annual Paul Short Run, where she led the squad with a 21:30.7 performance — the only sub-20-minute time for the young team.

The freshman was one of seven runners who achieved personal records (PRs) at the Paul Short Run over the weekend.

Also seeing improvement was senior Alexandra Juzwiak, who posted a 22:02.4 — her best 6-kilometer time since 2014’s Paul Short Run.

The Knights will now enter the final four races of the season, starting with the Metropolitan Championship race hosted by Fordham at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, New York on Friday, Oct. 13.

The team will look to both its youth and veterans alike to carry it through the Fordham race and into the Big Ten Championship in Bloomington, Indiana at the end of the month.

For updates on the Rutgers women's cross country team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton