Rutgers buoyed by sisters Adora, Nneka from Union, N.J.

p11adoramonemejeffrey917

Only a 30-minute drive from their hometown in Union, New Jersey, Rutgers University feels like a home away from home for Rutgers women’s soccer team standouts Adora and Nneka Moneme. It also helps that they are sisters playing on the same team.

“It’s fun. She knows who I am and I know who she is so we had that connection already established before we came to college,” said junior midfielder and older sister Adora Moneme. “We can say stuff to each other that no one else really gets. I can cheer her on in a way that no one else can and we know what it is on the field.”

“What she said,” added freshman forward and younger sister Nneka Moneme.

That cheering was on full display last week when Nneka Moneme scored the game-winning goal for the Scarlet Knights in a 2-1 overtime win against Illinois.

Adora Moneme also has a knack for game-winning goals. Back in 2015 during her freshman season, she scored two game-winners against Loyola Marymount and Ohio State herself — her only goals of the season.

With three other siblings, one of which currently attends Rutgers with Adora and Nneka, the Moneme family is well represented at Rutgers. In fact, their older sister Chioma Moneme was also a Knight from 2012-2015 where she was a member of the women’s rowing team.

With most of their family attending Rutgers, it made things easier for the sisters.

“I decided to come to Rutgers my sophomore year,” Nneka Moneme said. “It was kind of like a family school so it was predetermined to be honest.”

Adora Moneme made her decision to become a Knight in the summer going into her senior year.

Sports have always been a part of the Moneme family. Along with being four-year letter winners at Union High School in soccer both Moneme sisters were letter winners in basketball and track and field.

Both Adora and Nneka Moneme started playing soccer in kindergarten, but it wasn’t until high school that they played together. Prior to that they always played on separate teams of the prestigious New Jersey soccer club, PDA, because of their age difference.

Picking up where they left off in high school, both sisters have seen plenty of time this year at Rutgers with Adora starting in 10 of the team’s 12 matches and logging 856 minutes of play while Nneka has seen action in eight matches.

But make no mistake, when asked who the better sister was, Adora was quick to respond.

“Me. Adora Moneme is the better sister,” the older sister said with a laugh.

“I’m getting there, I’m getting there,” Nneka said.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez