March 19, 2018 | ° F

Shooting at greek life event leaves one hospitalized

According to the New Brunswick Police Department, a shooting occurred at a greek life party on Oct. 28. 

Early Saturday morning an altercation outside of a Rutgers greek life event escalated into a shooting that left one man hospitalized, according to a New Brunswick police statement.

New Brunswick Police Captain JT Miller said the altercation began around 1:30 a.m. when a group of Black males attempted to enter a greek life gathering on Hamilton Street, according to

When the group was denied entry, a fight broke out inside the party. It spilled out onto the sidewalk, where a man pulled out a black handgun and fired two rounds into the crowd, according to the site.

A 21-year-old man was hit in the shoulder and transported to Robert Wood Johnson hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

It is still unclear whether the victim was a student.

The suspect is described as a Black male between 5’7 and 5’9 with shoulder-length dreadlocks. He was wearing a white baggy shirt and blue jeans at the time of the incident.

Anyone with information is asked to call the New Brunswick Police Department at 732-745-5217.

Rutgers Media Relations was unable to be reached for comment at the time of publication.

Chloe Dopico

Chloe Dopico is an associate news editor at The Daily Targum. She is double majoring in political science and journalism and media studies. Follow her on Twitter @ChloeDopico for more.