Stuff Yer Face celebrates 40 years of serving the Rutgers community

stuffyerfacecynthiavasquez
Photo by Cynthia Vasquez |

Stuff Yer Face recognized its 40th anniversary on Thursday with an all-night party for the community. The current owner has worked there for 23 years and helped the restaurant on Easton Avenue to become a staple of the city and the University.

Most students have had at least one experience at local Rutgers restaurant Stuff Yer Face — from their popular bolis to huge fish bowls, the Easton Avenue restaurant has been a favorite among students for years. 

But this year was special, as it celebrated its 40th-anniversary last week with an all-night party Thursday night before homecoming weekend.

According to the Stuff Yer Face website, the restaurant is popular for its menu of international beers and its thousands of possible stromboli combinations.

Matthew Poznick, Stuff Yer Face's owner, said in an email that the restaurant's original location was at 43 Easton Ave. In 1982, five years after the restaurant originally opened, the owners moved it to its current location at 49 Easton Ave.

The building there is over 150 years old, Poznick said. Previously it had been a boarding house called "The Oasis" that housed college students.

“When gutting the walls, the former owner found hundreds of empty tequila bottles stuffed in walls and ceilings,” Poznick said.

Poznick said Stuff Yer Face has always been popular with Rutgers students.

“The location ... is a huge part of our success,” Poznick said. “I think that the students enjoy Stuff Yer Face because you get a lot for a little. Prices have always been affordable.”

He said the restaurant's clientele also comprises Rutgers employees and alumni, Johnson & Johnson employees, employees of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and St. Peter's as well as the local fire and police departments.

Poznick said he was shocked at how many people came to the anniversary party. The restaurant had celebrated its 30th and 35th anniversaries, Poznick said, but this party was the most successful yet.

“A lot of employees past and present showed up as well as longtime customers,” Poznick said.

He said the former owner Bill Washawanny and his wife Nina flew from Florida to celebrate. Poznick purchased the business in July after working there for 23 years.

“It felt like the passing of the torch,” Poznick said.

Max Marcus