LETTER: Trump did not win election due to his racial privilege

The title, “Trump won election due to racial privilege,” begs for a lively debate, and it is my pleasure to play devil’s advocate and address some of the points made. Controversial opinions always make for a fun discussion.

The framing of every issue in purely racial terms distorts reality — racism is a factor in many issues but not necessarily the crux.

Hunter Maenner, an opinion's columnist, citing Coates, asserts that President Donald J. Trump won solely due to the color of his skin. I would like to point out that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton happens to be white too. If there is privilege involved, it would likely be male privilege.

As an opposing argument to the title, I would like to assert that perhaps the identity politics of the Democratic Party and the focus on building the intersectional minority coalition, at the expense of focusing on the economic conditions of blue-collar Americans, may have turned off many from voting for a Democrat this past election.

The assertion that only Trump can get away with saying vulgar things and still be held in high esteem simply because he is white is false, as there are people of color who are in the same boat. Regarding former President Barack Obama’s birth certificate: the disgusting and underhanded attacks upon it were not necessarily motivated by racial prejudice, but perhaps by the legal implication that a president born outside the U.S. is ineligible for the office of the presidency, and I am sure Republicans do not like it when Democrats are in power.

I look forward to further columns from Maenner.

Jacob Nerenberg is a Rutgers Business School sophomore. 

Jacob Nerenberg