WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | October 13, 2017

laurels_and_darts

TAKE A BREATH WITH SJE

The Rutgers Center for Social Justice Education and LGBT Communities (SJE) has been advertising their Breathing Room, which they have deemed as an open space where students can speak to one another about real-life, everyday issues. The students also work together to come up with solutions to the problems brought up. The Breathing Room allows students to hear different perspectives on world issues. We laurel SJE for providing a space where students can collaborate.

STRIDES FOR SURVIVORS

The Rutgers Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA) has dedicated a week to “Turn the Campus Purple.” One of the events for the week was a candlelight vigil, where students were encouraged to share poems, songs and stories about their own experiences with sexual violence. The vigil was meant for the survivors of domestic violence. Over 20 percent of females and 5 percent of males experienced sexual assault. We dart the environment that fosters the need to even hold events such as this. 

NEW HORIZONS FOR NURSING SCHOOL

Rutgers—Camden recently opened its brand new Nursing and Science Building, which will allow students to get hands-on experience in the facility’s new laboratories, as well as garner hospital, outpatient and home care skills in a realistic setting. The building, as part of a merger between Rutgers—New Brunswick and the Camden School of Nursing, was paid for in part by a loan and grant program approved by New Jersey voters in 2012. We laurel Rutgers for expanding upon students’ opportunities to build the skills necessary for success in their future careers.

STOP THE EPIDEMIC

As a result of the state’s opioid crisis, New Jersey has seen a recent spike in drug-related deaths. Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that can be up to 50 times more powerful than other opioids, is used as a lacing agent in batches of heroin. The drug was to blame for only a few dozen deaths a couple of years ago, but last year alone this number rose to almost 900. We dart New Brunswick and the rest of the state’s growing opioid crisis.

DANCE FOR PUERTO RICO

The Rutgers Salsa Club hosted “Hope After Maria” to raise money for hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico. The event was a block party that featured dancing. Rutgers Salsa Club partnered with ConPRmetidos for the event. ConPRmetidos aims to foster personal, social and economic development in Puerto Rico. There was no monetary goal for the night, as group members encouraged participants that “anything helps.” We laurel Rutgers Salsa Club for their hard work in fundraising for such a pressing cause.

GET OUR RIGHTS BACK

The Office of Graduate Student Life and the Office of Veteran and Military Programs and Services (OVMPS) are hosting a colloquium today to speak to students about LGBTQ veterans’ and active service members’ experiences within the military. In August, President Donald J. Trump directed the military to ban transgender people from serving. Speakers at the panel discussed the confusion around the policy and how it affected their lives. We dart the policy that, if enacted, may take away transgender people’s right and ability to serve their country.