WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts | October 6, 2017

laurels_and_darts

TEAM UP TO CLEAN UP

The Rutgers community came together last Sunday to pick up garbage and debris around campus as part of the Scarlet Knights Team Up to Clean Up event. This event encouraged students who live both on and off-campus to collaborate to make the area around the campuses a clean place. Representatives from the event said that the turnout was great and that many students who volunteered had volunteered in past cleanups as well. We laurel the students and members of Rutgers for banning together for the common goal of improving the University.

CHAINS ARE FAILING

The New Jersey Public Interest Research Group (NJPIRG) has been holding events and speaking to students about a grading system they created for the 25 largest chain restaurants in the country based upon the use of antibiotics that they use in their livestock. These antibiotics that are meant to treat bacterial infections in people are being used to keep animals in unsanitary conditions and also allow them to gain weight faster. We dart these huge corporations for being so widespread and using dangerous food.

A TOAST TO COMPOST

The Rutgers Cooperative Extension is giving residents the opportunity to take part in composting and horticultural training classes this month and for the rest of the year. They choose to provide composting training because it can reduce waste and also reduce the lead levels in plants grown in urban areas. We laurel the Rutgers Cooperative Extension for finding a method to bring the community together in a way that benefits the environment.

LIGHTS OUT

The Busch Student Center and many residence halls on the campus were left without power for almost an hour last Wednesday. The power outage was caused by a malfunction of the equipment that the facilities crews were installing. Some students complained that it was extremely warm outside and that the power outage made it impossible for some students to use AC units. We dart the infrastructure for causing problems that lead to inconveniences whenever something is upgraded or worked on.

AWARD-WINNING STAFF

Kathleen John-Alder is not just an assistant professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture at Rutgers University, she is also a recipient of the 2017 Award of Excellence from the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA). She won the award for her research project entitled “Fluid Territory: A Journey into Svalbard, Norway.” It analyzed Arctic topography of Svalbard, Norway from the perspectives of climate, geology and politics. We laurel John-Aider for such an esteemed accomplishment and for representing Rutgers in such a positive way.

SECURITY SYSTEM IS CAUSE FOR ALARM

Twenty-six students were temporarily displaced from their rooms at Sojourner Truth Apartments when a grease fire on the 12th floor set off fire alarms and sprinkler systems. There was flooding but no injuries were reported. But, there was a significant gap of time between the evacuations of students on the top floors and those on the bottom floors. Some students stated that they were evacuated almost an hour after others had been standing outside. We dart the disorganization of this alarm system and the confusion it caused the students.