Treat problem skin naturally with DIY food face masks

facemask-cloudfront
Photo by Cloudfront |

Incorporating natural ingredients in your skincare routine is highly beneficial. That is why homemade face masks made from food are the latest skincare trend because it is important to know what’s going on your face. 

Essentially, it’s the difference between patting indiscernible butylene glycol onto your face versus mashed banana and honey. 

Not everyone is born with a fresh face or an impeccably dewy glow — most of us have acne, redness, oiliness or an excess of dead skin. Additionally, not everyone has access to the gimmicky creams and serums endorsed by the likes of Cate Blanchett and Kim Kardashian West — products that are pricey and packed with a strange mix of chemicals and sometimes clay.

With so many recipes on the internet out there, it’s hard to strain through the options and find the perfect mask. So skip the SK-II and GLAMGLOW and avoid a Pinterest failure — opt for this curated list that details easy and affordable masks for different skin concerns. Here’s how you can mash up a perfectly simple and healthy mask for your face. It’s time to get mixing.

Get glowing with a turmeric mask

Turmeric is not only a foundational component of delicious curry spice, it also provides yummy benefits for your skin. This skin powerhouse is a texture-improving, exfoliating superfood that helps improve inflammatory skin conditions like acne, dry skin and eczema. To seep these benefits into your skin, mix a teaspoon of tumeric with a teaspoon of raw organic honey and a teaspoon of milk into a paste and apply it to your skin. Leave it on for a speedy 20 minutes and rinse off. To finish up, apply your choice of moisturizer.

Scrub away the flakes with brown sugar

Brown sugar and coconut oil combined make a good, semi-abrasive team. Brown sugar works double-duty as both a chemical and physical exfoliant, while coconut oil provides a sweet-smelling rush of hydration. Combine two tablespoons of the two complementary ingredients in a bowl and mix, then exfoliate for smooth, supple, flake-free skin. Get to scrubbing — nobody likes a flaky friend. 

Oat couture 

Healthy brekkie, healthy mask. Oats and honey are just as good on your face overnight as they are as a sweet part of your morning breakfast routine. To banish dryness, simply combine equal parts of the two and create a thick paste to paint your face with. Apply evenly in gentle, circular motions and keep it on all night for beautiful results. Unless you want oatmeal on your pillow, lay a towel down before you rest up. Wash it off in the morning for supple skin.

Combine coconut and tea tree oils

Another overnight gem is scented serum made from a few drops of tea tree oil per spoonful of coconut oil. This one will fight redness and prevent acne breakouts. Make sure you spread evenly when you slather on. Sleep tight to reap the benefits of this super-serum. 

Papaya to prevent aging 

If you’re the type of person who sneakily started using your mother’s anti-aging skincare at 20, this one's for you. Purée one half of a ripe, seeded papaya and add one half of a teaspoon of honey an a quarter teaspoon of lemon or lime juice. Apply it all over your face and wait 10 to 15 minutes to reveal ageless skin. It’s never too early to start, right?

De-puff and detoxify with coffee grounds 

Take back your skin and de-swell with a blended mix of two tablespoons of freshly ground coffee, two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder, one tablespoon honey and three tablespoons of yogurt or sour cream. Spread the mixture over your face and let it sit for just 10 minutes and gently wipe it off to revel in your replenished skin. 

With all the natural and beneficial face mask recipes out there, there’s truly no need to spend big money on luxe creams and chemical-compact serums just because beauty bloggers and celebrities rave about them. You can nurture beautiful skin on your own just by using inexpensive ingredients that you may already have in your arsenal. 

Abigail Lyon