Kate Curran Duo brings jazz fans back to speak-easy vibes at Duo Mari

ibkatecurraninstagram
Photo by Instagram |

Representing the New Brunswick Jazz Project, the Kate Curran Duo performed at Due Mari restaurant Friday evening in downtown New Brunswick. With Kate Curran as the vocalist and Michael Bond on the keys, the duo created an atmosphere that felt straight out of an old Hollywood movie. The pair performed a number of jazz songs that complimented Curran’s vocal talent, and Bond demonstrated his innate gift for playing the piano.

Curran was completely focused on the music, and her regal voice blended well with the ambiance of the upscale restaurant. She nodded her head along to the music and was emotive during the high and low parts of every song. Her voice complemented the piano notes in the background, which Bond impressively executed. The music was suitable for a romantic date or a formal night outing.

Bond played several impressive solos throughout the performance. His fingers effortlessly glided over the keys as he transitioned between notes. He exuded confidence and playfulness as he moved along with the music. While diners talked over the music, laughing and conversing with one another, the piano was still recognizable over the noise of the crowd.

Curran wowed the audience with her vocal range as she carried a perfect pitch and hit high notes with ease. She sat on a stool, attentively reading the music in front of her and sang passionately and gracefully. The music transported the audience back in time to when jazz was at the forefront of the music scene and created a peaceful yet upbeat environment.

The duo was professional, thanked the crowd after every song and were clearly happy to be there. Curran was dressed in black and white attire with hair in a bun and red lipstick, while Bond was wearing a beige suit, giving them the resemblance of a classic Hollywood duo. They took requests from customers and played a variety of music. While jazz may not appeal to everyone, the Kate Curran Duo’s renditions of both classic and new jazz records set the perfect tone for dining.

Ritika Jain