Rutgers running team earns spot at nationals for 1st time in 4 years

RunningClub-Jeffrey

This is the first year since the Rutgers Running Club started in 2013 that the men’s team has qualified for Nationals. Their fundraising efforts are helping cut travel costs.

The Rutgers Running Club has 18 days and $840 left to raise in order to fund its trip to Nationals. This is the first time the team has qualified for a National meet since 2013. This year nationals take place in Lansing, Michigan.

The campaign ends on Dec. 1, at which point Rutgers Running Club will have to meet its goal of $2,000 or fail to collect its donations. So far its has raised $1,160 with donations from 16 donors, leaving 43 percent of its goal total still unaccounted for.

The club is a community of dedicated runners at all ability levels who compete in both cross country and track and field events. The group holds open practices throughout the week in front of the College Avenue Student Center and takes weekend trips outside of the University for longer runs. 

This is the first year that the men’s team will race in a championship meet and the first time that the club will make an appearance since its inception in 2013. The current team is the largest and most competitive that it has ever had, according to its site

In order to prepare themselves for the long road ahead, the group has prioritized practicing and time management. This has shaped its road to Nationals with a combination of talent and commitment, said Jeremy Bravo, the men’s team captain and a Rutgers Business School senior.

“We have been promoting this fundraiser for a couple weeks now even before the site went live,” he said. “We have also fundraised through other means, our most recent event took place alongside Panera where they were kind enough to donate a portion of their sales for a night to our club.”

Alongside the group’s donation page, viewers can see donation options starting at $10 and where the money will be put toward including, race fees, transportation and hotel costs.  

Duke, Princeton and the University of California are among the top collegiate running clubs the group is racing against, Bravo said.

“We’ve worked very hard in order to earn our spot in this race, so we will definitely give it our all,” he said. “We have a very strong group so I am optimistic that will do very well and prove to be one of the fastest teams in the country.”

Christian Zapata