C. Vivian Stringer signs four-year contract extension, stays on as head coach of women's basketball team

stringerdimitri

On Thursday, Rutgers Athletic Director Pat Hobbs announced that the University and head coach of the women’s basketball team C. Vivian Stringer have agreed on a four-year contract extension. Stringer is entering the final year of a contract signed in May 2014.

The extension comes just a little more than a week before the team is set to begin its season on the road at James Madison. 

“With the start of the basketball season just days ahead, I’m delighted that we’ve reached a new agreement with Coach Stringer,” Hobbs said at a press conference on Thursday.

Stringer is entering her 23rd season at the helm of the women’s basketball program, and is just 23 wins shy of 1,000 career wins, with a record of 977-390. She has taken the team to the Final Four twice, once in 2000 and once in 2007, as well as capturing a WNIT title in 2014.

“I appreciate the opportunity to continue to take the Scarlet Knights to great heights, in particular, with the current group of young ladies we have,” Stringer said, per a press release. “I have the chance to keep doing what I love to do and that is coach basketball, along with teaching and mentoring the young women who are in our program. With the current team, there is a great outlook and I am excited for what the future holds for this program. I would like to thank in particular our Athletic Director Pat Hobbs, Deputy Athletic Director Sarah Baumgartner and the entire Rutgers administration for their confidence in me.”

Some of Stringer’s accolades include being inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009 alongside Michael Jordan, John Stockton, David Robinson and Jerry Sloane. She also served as the assistant coach for the USA Women’s Basketball team in the 2004 Olympics, the year in which it won a gold medal.

The Scarlet Knights begin their season with three consecutive road games at James Madison, Temple and Charlotte. Their home opener is November 19th at the RAC against Wake Forest.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Matthew Howe