Rutgers takes 19th at NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals

Juzwiak, Mialhe collect career-best times in 6-kilometer race

OnlineAlexandraJuzwiak-Jeffrey2.17

The Rutgers women’s cross country team finished its 2017 campaign last Friday, placing 19th overall at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship 6-kilometer race in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

The Scarlet Knights posted two new personal-records (PRs) for their top two runners and bested nine teams in their third appearance of the season at the Lehigh University Goodman Campus Cross Country Course.

No. 19 Penn State repeated as NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Champions for the third-straight year, averaging a time of 20:15 on the Goodman Campus Course and earning 31 points overall.

No. 9 Villanova and No. 27 Georgetown rounded out the top-three, earning 60 and 109 points, respectively.

Rutgers posted an average time of 22:15 in Bethlehem, earning 549 points overall. The team’s effort fell short of its season-best average at the 44th-annual Paul Short Run, where it managed an average of 22:03 on the Lehigh course.

The Knights were led by senior Alexandra Juzwiak and sophomore Lou Mialhe, both of whom posted a new career-best 6-kilometer time.

Juzwiak, who was the only Rutgers runner to pierce the top-100 at the race, placed 72nd overall. She finished in 21:38, her best time since the Paul Short Run in September where she ran the course in 22:03.

Mialhe was the next Knight to finish the course, placing 104th overall and posting a time of 22:11 – topping her previous 6-kilometer best of 22:35 also set at the Paul Short Run.

Freshman Olympia Martin capped her memorable season by finishing the race in 22:52.2, good for 119th overall. The first-year runner sustained at least a top-three finish among her peers in all six races this season. 

Sophomore Stephanie Mauer followed Martin and placed 125th overall with a time of 22:30.4.

Freshman Kiera Nealon crossed the finish-line in 22:30, good for 129th overall.

Sophomore Nadia Saponara finished 134th overall, posting a time of 22:35.2.

The final Knight to complete the championship 6-kilometer was sophomore Emma Bergman, who placed 138th overall with a time of 22:39.8.

The completion of the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Championship marked the end of the cross country season for Rutgers. The women’s track and field team will start the indoor portion of its 2018 season hosting the Rutgers Invitational on Friday, Jan. 5.

For updates on the Rutgers women's cross country and track and field teams, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Kevin Stapleton