Rutgers finishes in 4th place at Idle Hour Intercollegiate

p10kariwilliamsdt1015

The Rutgers women's golf team completed its final fall event in fourth place with 925 (312-310-303) strokes on October 30 and 31 at the Idle Hour Intercollegiate in Macon, Georgia. The Scarlet Knights posted a top-five finish in four out of five tournaments this fall.

Rutgers opened the first two rounds of competition in fourth place and did not move up or down after the final round. Head Coach Kari Williams spoke to scarletknights.com on her team's performance in the final round and how this fall season has been for the Knights.

“We had good bounce-back rounds today from Harriet, Emily and Lori,” Williams said. “While we were not able to move up the leaderboard, I did see a lot of fight after getting off to a slow start this morning. After a competitive schedule this fall, we have a lot of positives to build upon this offseason.”

Host Mercer University took first place with a score of 907 (305,298,304) followed by both Western Kentucky, that tallied 916 (298-305-313), and Eastern Kentucky, that shot 923 (318-305-300) to round out the top three, ahead of Rutgers.

Some standout performances from the first day belonged to freshman Harriet Allsebrook and senior Tatum Jackson. Both had shaky starts, going up to 4 and 6-over par, respectively, on the front-nine holes. But on the back-nine, both competitors picked up their play substantially with Allsebrook finishing even for par and Jackson only closing at 1-over par.

On the second day, the Knights would improve on the score sheet almost team-wide but could not catch up to Eastern Kentucky, who finished two shots better than Rutgers. Relatively, the entire top five was a very close race, with the difference of first and fifth only being 21 strokes.

Allsebrook finished her first collegiate competitive season and finished no higher than 30th in all five events. She kept to the mold of her previous performances by tying for 13th place with 231 (76-79-76) strokes. Joining her for at 13th on the 69-player leaderboard was co-captain senior Emily Mills with a score of 231 (79-77-75).

Freshman Lori Char also contributed to the Knights with a 20th-place finish, shooting 232 (78,80,74). Despite struggling through the first day of competition, she picked it up and had the only under-par round for Rutgers in the back-nine of the final round.

Sophomore Carrie-Ann Lee shot consistently and helped keep the Knights in contention for a top-five finish. She finished tied for 29th place with a score of 236 (79-79-78).

Jackson used her momentum from the first round to give herself an even front-nine holes in round two. That momentum would not last though, as she shot 12-over par in the final round. She finished tied for 34th place shooting 238 (79-75-84).

Rutgers had the best par-5 score of the tournament, shooting 1-under par. They finished tied for fourth in the par-4 holes but fell off the pace with having the 10th worst par-3 score.

The Knights finished ahead of seven teams in this tournament, including Troy, North Florida, James Madison, Cincinnati, Elon, Samford and Georgia Southern.

Rutgers is now officially in the offseason with its next competitive tournament being the Full Moon Invitational hosted by Louisville University in Louisville, Kentucky. The event will take place on February 19 and 20 of next year.

The Knights open up in Kentucky for the spring season and then will conclude the 2017-18 regular season with four more events. All of these tournaments lead up to the Big Ten Championship that will take place from April 20 to 22.

For updates on the Rutgers women's golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Justin Bonhard