Delvecchio ready to shatter expectations in final year at Rutgers

p7delvecchiodimitri217

For fifth-year senior Scott DelVecchio, this is it — his last year on the Rutgers wrestling team. So it makes sense he wants to make the most of it.

“I think personal and team are both the same expectations,” DelVecchio said. “That’s just to win everything and in a perfect world go undefeated and be a national champ and I guess that’s the goal, team-wise win everything and win a team tournament.”

But to get there, the No. 12 Scarlet Knights first have to prove some of their doubters wrong.

It starts with that ranking.

“I think for the most part we feel like we’re better than that (No. 12 ranking),” DelVecchio said. “But I think everyone is just ready to prove that, and we’re just ready to get the season started and go out there and show people what we’re capable of.”

DelVecchio, who enters the season at No. 11 in the 133-pound weight class, owns a collegiate career record of 63-34. Back in high school, DelVecchio finished with a 160-10 record at South Plainfield, where he was teammates with fellow classmates Anthony Ashnault and Dylan Painton.

Like most of the Rutgers team, DelVecchio was disappointed not to get the chance to wrestle at Yankee Stadium in what would have been a great experience. The November 4 doubleheader against Maryland will now be held at High Point Solutions Stadium. Nevertheless, it doesn’t matter where the mat is set up, DelVecchio will wrestle on it.

“To be out there at Yankee Stadium would have been really cool for the team and for the fans,” DelVecchio said. “But at the end of the day wrestling is wrestling, you know, lay the mat out wherever you want to lay it out and we’ll wrestle on it.”

The outdoor atmosphere for Saturday also does not seem to affect the veteran DelVecchio.

“It’s wrestling,” he said. “So whether we’re in a gym or on a football field or on a baseball field, whether it’s hot, cold whatever it is, it’s the same mentality. You go out there, and you try to win.”

Regardless, DelVecchio and the rest of the Knights cannot wait to get their season started and are expecting a good match against Maryland.

And whether it is Maryland or any other team, Rutgers is expecting to come out on top.

“We kind of expect the same thing out of every team and that’s just they’re gonna come and try to win the same way we’re gonna come and try to win,” DelVecchio said. “We just expect to be better on that day. Overall, we know they’re gonna come out here and wrestle their best and we’re just gonna try and wrestle better.”

For updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Robert Sanchez